Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How old were you when you wanted to become a projectionist? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Author Topic: How old were you when you wanted to become a projectionist?
Gunnar Asgeirsson
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2008 07:54 PM      Profile for Gunnar Asgeirsson   Author's Homepage   Email Gunnar Asgeirsson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How old was you when you start working as a projectionist and how old was you when you firt wanted to be a projectionist.

I was a little kid 9 years old the first time i saw a projectionboth and after that i start going to all the cinema and look at all the projectionboth in every cinema here in reykjavík iceland and after that i was shure this was something for me.. And i start working in this when i was 18 years old and i really find myself in this job [thumbsup]

And now i work in the most popular cinema in iceland.

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-25-2008 07:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I began at 18, yet was handling film while I was in grade school playing with 16mm.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-25-2008 09:04 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ran 16mm in the 10th grade, first work as projectionist was at 42 in 1986.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-25-2008 09:57 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was 23 when I started in 1996.

Don Sneed
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2008 11:04 PM      Profile for Don Sneed   Author's Homepage   Email Don Sneed   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was 14 when thinking about it, 16 when started in 1970 as a union projectionist at the Martini Theater in Galveston Texas, at that time I was the youngest projectionist in the IASTE-MPMO projectionist union, I worked out of local 279 Houston/Galveston until 1985, now technician.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-26-2008 01:50 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Gunnar, The title of this thread needs to be corrected. No teaser subject titles are permitted. This thread will be removed if you do not correct it.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2008 04:07 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The proper title should be, "How old were you when you wanted to become a projectionist?"

something along those lines.

As for me, I was 20 when I came back home and took a job at the local theatre as a team memember. It didn't take me long until I was hooked on the upstairs.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-26-2008 04:10 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think I was 20 when I was first taught how to thread. Maybe 19. Hard to say. I'm gonna go with 20. I'm 23 now. [Wink]

Jesse Skeen
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2008 05:13 AM      Profile for Jesse Skeen   Email Jesse Skeen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wanted to be a projectionist as soon as I learned what one was- probably age 3 or so. I first got to handle real theater projection equipment at age 19; I left the theater business the week of my 29th birthday due to an overabundance of stupidity where I was working.

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2008 06:47 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a Ampro 16mm sound projector when I was 10 years old. I started in a change-over booth when I was 15. I lied about my age and told 'em I was 16. That was 1962.

Jeff Stricker
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2008 07:01 AM      Profile for Jeff Stricker   Email Jeff Stricker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
12 years old in 1959 when I first ran 16mm.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2008 11:48 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I became hooked at the age of 5 with my first 16MM projector. My hobby expanded and by the time I was 14 I owned two 16MM DeVry's and two old Holmes 35MM projectors.

I didn't start working professionally until 1970 when at the age of 26 I began doing relief work and summer house work for Local 243 here in NJ to suppliment my income as a teacher.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2008 11:53 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
a mere child at 18 with the Simplex carbon arc projectors. that was a few decades ago [Smile]

signs all over the booth......

(Save the copper for the war effort)

louis

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-26-2008 12:12 PM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was 17 when I got my first job in 1965. I'd been hanging around booths since the age of 12.
Bob

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-26-2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...you can tell that we love our profession.... starting young and still doing it... [Big Grin]

Now, who else can say that they'd stayed with their profession as long as we've done...

I guess, we should add to our comments on "What was it that drew you to being a film handler and/or to the booth?"

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 5 pages: 1  2  3  4  5 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: