Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Have you noticed the reel numbering on most prints now days?

Author Topic: Have you noticed the reel numbering on most prints now days?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-24-2008 02:38 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I didn't see any mention of this in a quick search, so I wanted to share the info.

In the last few weeks I've discovered that almost every reel is "numbered" at the head and tail. The image shows the marks on Fireproof. Reel 3 is the tail, I believe the rest are heads. There are 4 sets of marks on each head and tail, 2 sets on either side of the first frame.

-

[ 10-24-2008, 04:08 PM: Message edited by: Justin Hamaker ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 10-25-2008 12:02 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's awesome! Never noticed that before.

Max Biela
Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2008 03:41 AM      Profile for Max Biela   Email Max Biela   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Over here its only a feature of Deluxe prints. Who made the print shown in the photo?

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-25-2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's too close to the end of the reel. The theater down the street will probably chop that off.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-25-2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No kidding. People LUVS to chop of ID frames... sometimes the more the merrier.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2008 01:33 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What a tremendous inventive solution to the reel ID problem!

If these markings were to become a standard, there would be absolutely no reason to remove even one frame of image from the print.

I would like to see this marking system adopted for all prints in the future. I don't think this would add any measurable mount to the cost of the finished product. I would especially like to see this on the foreign product that often comes without any leaders at all.

KEN

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-25-2008 02:56 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is sure great!

i hate when some guys put some stickers and similar to tail/foot of prints so the know where is end.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-25-2008 03:38 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark J. Marshall
That's too close to the end of the reel.
Actually, someone would have to cut off almost a foot into the reel. There are a total of 4 sets of these marks. There is one set about 3"-4" from the first frame on both the reel side and the leader side. And then there is another set about 6"-8" further on.

Fireproof is a Technicolor print, but I've also seen them on Deluxe prints. I don't know enough to know if the marks are only applied by certain labs or what not.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-25-2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, too bad it's a day late and a dollar short. Won't be an issue much longer.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-25-2008 07:38 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My sentiments exactly. Suddenly many good ideas are finally making their way into reality... makes me wonder why some of these ideas weren't thought of 20 years or more earlier.

Anyway I wouldn't say it's a dollar short. According to my count it is even. It is definitely late, though. That's a write-up!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: