Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Saw V = PIER 59? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Saw V = PIER 59?
Jon P. Inghram
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Jon P. Inghram   Email Jon P. Inghram   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We just got our print of "Pier 59." The can says Saw 5, but everything on the actual print says PIER 59, except for the DTS disk and the flier. Very strange as normally the CAN has the fake title and the print is correct.

|  IP: Logged

Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, all the labeling and info I searched online claims that its format is flat. However, looking at the film it looks to me like scope. Being that all the trailers that came with it are flat format as well I'm slightly confused.

Little help?

and that Pier 59 thing is just strange.... [Confused]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 10-23-2008 04:06 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
SAW IV also had the fake title printed on the heads and tails.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-23-2008 04:47 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why?

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-23-2008 07:22 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To protect the films from them nasty little pirates... [Smile]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-23-2008 07:42 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah right. More like some dipshit at Lions Gate (or whatever studio makes all of the Saw movies) actually thinks someone will want to pirate their shitty movie so bad that they have to codename it for fear of a pirate physically stealing a print. [Roll Eyes]

Laurie Higgins
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Laurie Higgins   Author's Homepage   Email Laurie Higgins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

Laurie Higgins
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2008 07:55 PM      Profile for Laurie Higgins   Author's Homepage   Email Laurie Higgins   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It looks scope because it's open matte.

Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2008 08:09 PM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the info Laurie. [Smile]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-23-2008 08:30 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The other "Saw" movies were in flat. Look at one of the other reel's head and see what the image looks like. Don't look at the first reel.

If the trailers in the can are in flat, pretty sure that the feature is.

Flat movies also use the open matt frame concept - it all depends how the camera(s) were set up when in photographing the film

Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2008 08:58 PM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks as well Monte, I just didn't want to have to fix this after watching two copies of HSM 3...

[Frown]

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-23-2008 09:07 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why is it so hard to work out if it's scope or flat? I don't get it. [Confused]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-23-2008 09:24 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...interestingly, yet sad in the meantime John, some were never shown what the true difference between the two lens formats - on how the image looks like on a frame - squeezed image for a scope presentation, or a normal image for a flat presentation.

Just were taught on what is on the booking sheet, the can labels and what the contained trailers are lensed in. The worst is when they put it together, show it on the screen, then find out they either have the right or wrong lens in play....and play the wrong lens for almost the entire duration of the booking until someone comes out and mentions to the staff that the picture looks somewhat wrong.... [Eek!] ...and the staff still doesn't get it what's wrong. Now, that's definitely sad to see and hear about.

The actual easiest check is to look at the attached trailer's green tag: if squeezed lettering - a scope feature. Normal lettering for flat feature. But still, check with the other reels for lens confirmation.

Yet, no offense to Benny, for his question is genuine and honest.

Benny Walters
Film Handler

- posted 10-23-2008 10:06 PM      Profile for Benny Walters   Email Benny Walters   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again Monte, no offense taken.

I guess the simple rule of thumb is if its anamorphic (squeezed) then its Scope, everything else would be flat.

Although, I can't for the life of me ever remember seeing a flat print where the image looked like that...

Anyone else building/screening multiple prints of HSM3 tonight??? [Mad]

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-23-2008 10:16 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From our booking status, HSM3 is in flat. (sorry, I'm in a discount house and can't build the new movies coming in..)

Disney prob wanted to shoot this thing in flat for the continuation of their DVD releases of the same "High School Musical" series.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: