Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Encoder interface to Digital audio decks for press/workprint screenings

Author Topic: Encoder interface to Digital audio decks for press/workprint screenings
Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-20-2008 08:48 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have a very interesting question to throw out to you guys.

I have recently completed the installation of a Magna-Tech dubber and encoders (10 pulse/frame) to my screening room at UC Irvine.

Obviously the dubber itself is of limited use since mag film is pretty much passe, but my main purpose of the install was to provide encoder outputs for using digital tape or hard drive decks for preview screenings.

I have provided a connection that will give access to both encoder's biphase and also a changeover contact to indicate projector #2 active.

What I'm seeking is the pinouts/connections to some of the standard decks now used for workprint/advance screenings. I would then make up custom cables to allow this to be a "plug and play" operation.

Thanks....

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-20-2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Akai digi dubber will accept biphase at 960hz directly
all the rest need a tach to SMPT converter

The JSK is good but I gather no longer made
CB Electronics makes a good one in the UK

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-22-2008 10:23 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know where there is a used JSK sitting... Let me know if you are interested....

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-25-2008 03:38 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, thanks for the info.

Mark, can you please PM me with info on that JSK?

Thanks guys.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-26-2008 12:01 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One cautionary note on the JSK is if you do rock and roll it doesn't always track the reverse phase of the pulse

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-26-2008 01:52 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gordon, well I personally rock and roll, but the projectors don't, so that won't be an issue [Smile]

It will be pretty much used for advance screenings and the like.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-19-2008 05:23 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are two pics of the install:

Encoder mounting:

-

And here's the audio and interlock bus connections from the dubber to the audio rack across the room:

-

I will start an album in the photo warehouse soon of the entire room and booth.

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-19-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great stuff Tony - good to have mag capability as you never know when you might need it (can you do 6-track there?).

We had the same facility in a screening room I used to work in and we had a really nice biphase switcher unit built to interface to the (then) anticipated Dolby Drive system believe it or not! But sadly it never saw any action, even with Akai's.

Rosendahl of Switzerland made a bi-phase interface ("BIF") that was very versatile and was a good alternative option to the CB Electronics unit where SMPTE t/c conversion is required. I can check to see if it's still available.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-19-2008 06:26 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brian. I would like to know if "BIF" is still available. [Smile] ("hello, hello, think McFly , think.")

We can run fullcoat, single track, three track, LT/RT and four track. I have two 363 frames with SR/A cards. I will have a patchbay to route the 4 outputs of the 363's to the input of the CP-65 (soon to be a CP-650). I have built a custom changeover box to switch the outputs of the dubber's preamps into the 363's.

Mounting of the pulleys to drive the encoders was done in only a few steps, thanks to a machinist friend:

First a stub shaft was made to fit the bore of the FP-20's motor pulley and the bore of the timing belt pulley.

My machinist used his trick jig to drill the three holes in the timing belt pulley at exactly 120 degrees apart.

Then the stub shaft was used to precisely center the timing pulley into the motor pulley, I drilled and tapped the motor pulley and secured the timing pulley with allen screws, using lock washers and some blue locktite.

Works great and runs perfectly true.

[ 12-20-2008, 02:42 PM: Message edited by: Tony Bandiera Jr ]

Brian Guckian
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 12-22-2008 04:34 PM      Profile for Brian Guckian   Email Brian Guckian   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds great, and look fwd to seeing the pix of the whole booth etc.

The BIF unit is still available so I'll PM you with the details.

Good to have a couple of options to choose from.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 12-23-2008 11:55 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian, thanks for the info..now if I can get the University to cough up the bucks to get it.. [Roll Eyes]

Back to the main point of this thread, and an answer I haven't seen here yet:

Does anyone have the pinouts and connector types for various decks like the Akai and Tascam, and other decks I am liable to run into for pic and track screenings?

Manufacturer links/manuals/diagrams would be very helpful.

I have lost touch with some folks I used to know who did a lot of this kind of work...

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 12-27-2008 01:38 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a JSK available for a ton of $$ if anyone needs one.

Mark

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 12-28-2008 01:38 PM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Tony Bandiera Jr
I am liable to run into for pic and track screenings
When I was based in Los Angeles we did many track and picture type (mag track & digital sound) screenings for the studios. Today they are using and sending out for these types of screenings D-5 or HD-Cam or HD-Cam SR format tapes with their Techs and editors. I'm equipped to run all mag formats and have Akai and Tascam and the Bif boxes to run, but no one is using them for full screenings. The studio rooms here in NYC have or are taking them out. My work print screenings are 99% all video projection (D-5 and HD-Cam SR) from both coasts.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: