Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » How many Prints have you made up? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: How many Prints have you made up?
Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can only guess how many total I have put together at this point and I am relitivly new. The better question I guess is... How many prints have you had to put together in one day. This last Thursday I had 5 to put together and one to take down for an early pick-up. Starting at aprox. 2pm I went well through to 10:30 having two prints tails up. It was a crazy day!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-10-2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well over a 1000+ print build ups (scattered over multiple days, of course. This is only a rough guess because I really have no idea). I know when I worked at a 16-plex we would average 4 or 5 new prints each week, sometimes more. I did it all in a half an hour and even took a 20 minute break in the middle! [Wink]

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 10-10-2008 08:56 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
9 in and 8 out in one evening shift...by myself while running the booth.

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2008 11:50 PM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I built 18 in one night courtesy of horror fest last year. Average for me is 6 to 10, gotta love a 24 plex. But I'm rarely running the booth while I am building up.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 10-11-2008 12:50 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the most I've done in one day is 3. That's one nice thing about working in a 5 or 7 plex. Yesterday I had to build 2 and break down 3.

For the total number, I would have to guess 500+. I've been doing this for 12+ years in theatres that average a little more than 100 prints a year. There have been stretches where I was building maybe 1 in 3 prints and there have been stretches where I was building almost every print.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2008 12:58 AM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First full print was the 1st Fantastic Four flick... then pretty much every Thursday since. I don't even want to know.

This weekend was 6, plus 2 breakdowns.

And our delivery really grinds my gears. Technicolor and deluxe prints both usually stroll in around 4pm. Everywhere else I know of is able to get theirs around 1pm - 2pm.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-11-2008 01:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I actually enjoy breaking down films. It is very relaxing and extraordinarily quick and easy (especially with clear tape and no ID frames [Razz] ). I don't like breaking down trailer packs, though. I'd rather just throw them away and I try to as much as possible unless we absolutely need a trailer that's on there. I do not like carrying the prints across our unnecessarily long lobby. I always enjoyed working at the United Artists Greenwood Plaza 12 were we could just leave the cans in the booth and the shipper would come up and get them themselves (plus bring them up when they came in). Then again we got about 10 prints a week.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-11-2008 02:00 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also had my shares of "megaplex" nights of 7 + in 5+ out for almost the entire summer at my discount 6plex...along with print moves to assigned houses....like Brad does - all by myself and crawl home, hurting and sore close to 3am

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 10-11-2008 09:25 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We've had our platter for almost 28 years, and we play on average around 65 movies a year, plus a few special shows a year (matinees and such) - so I'm probably closing in on 2000 prints by now. I've done all but about 10 of them myself.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2008 03:01 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A buddy of mine (English/Canadian) and me (Argentine) put together 16 prints in one whole day. This was one day prior to the grand opening of Moscow´s (Russia) very first multiplex.
I remember vividly that because of the numerous spikes in the 220v local line, we were burning rewind bench fuses like crazy. Eventually, at the middle of our day, we ran out of spare fuses. We ended up wrapping them in aluminum foil.
However crazy that day was, I only have fond memories of it.

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-11-2008 03:17 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd have to say that I've hit at least 700+ over the past 8 years. I actually enjoyed building/breaking down prints. It helps when the booth is air conditioned too!

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-11-2008 08:18 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess I can safely say, since 1976 when I was introduced to the AW2 platter (actually 4 of them), that began the countless numbers of makes and breaks that I've done - and that isn't including the gazillion miles of film that I've ran up to 1984 in changeover houses.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-11-2008 09:10 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In 22 years, 2676.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-12-2008 03:26 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the business part-time for the last 8 years.

As a guess I've built a little over 100 prints.

To change the topic slighty, what was the first print you ever bulit?
Mine was that Jim Carey film 'Me, Myself and Irene'

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-12-2008 06:49 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1976 - ROCKY! ..was the first print I put on an AW2 platter.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: