Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Scratching Prints (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Scratching Prints
Drew Ballard
Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 10:27 AM      Profile for Drew Ballard   Email Drew Ballard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a simplex 35 that has just started scratching prints the scratches are straight lines all across the screen i have went through the projector countless amount of times anybody got any suggetions

Thanks Drew Ballard

|  IP: Logged

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-08-2008 11:38 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drew, Welcome from someone else in AL.

Not much detail. If by "across the screen" you mean horizontally as viewed on the screen, it sounds like a platter problem. If you have a platter system, post some more details and I'm sure someone can help.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-08-2008 06:16 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is your sound drum spinning?

Don Anderson
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 06:20 PM      Profile for Don Anderson   Email Don Anderson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, can't be the Simplex. Maybe from building up the print. You might have the roller feeding onto your platter (on your makeup table)set too low and its rubbing across the film as you build your prints.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 07:24 PM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check on your platter system that all your rollers are rolling at all times.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-08-2008 08:18 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am betting that he means many vertical lines across the screen, not horizontal lines.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-08-2008 10:06 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So let's make a deal here!

The lines on the screen either are up and down or they are left to right.

Up and down are caused by the film dragging on something. The left to right are caused by something rubbing across the film. Intermittent marks are more difficult to define and locate because they appear only in a small area on the film and may have various causes.

The two largest causes for scratching are the platter system and frozen or dragging sound reader drums.

Perhaps this might help clarify what is seen and help to locate some possible causes.

KEN
[Roll Eyes]

[ 10-09-2008, 06:39 AM: Message edited by: Kenneth Wuepper ]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-08-2008 11:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kenneth Wuepper
The left to right are caused by something rubbing across the film.
Or slapping against the film if the loops are too big.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-09-2008 08:52 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Drew

I hope you're not another one who signs up, asks a question then we never hear from them again. There are a few suggestions here but as said before we need more information to truly help you.

Let us know what's going on.

Drew Ballard
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2008 09:24 PM      Profile for Drew Ballard   Email Drew Ballard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey

My lines are vertical and all across the screen only on 1 house all my rollers are free and my sound drum spins with the speed of the movie i have went over everything time and time again

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2008 09:54 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Drew,

By any chance does your machine have a "fire trap" at the top or bottom of the machine. The fire trap was necessary for Nitrate film stock but some remain on the machines and can collect dirt and debris that can scratch the film. All rollers in that area should be clean and roll freely. If one of these rollers is missing, the film could scrape against the casting at that point and cause scratches.

On only one occasion have I seen the spacing between the aperture and the film runners was too close and the film touched the aperture plate. The material also piled up in the aperture and was a dead giveaway of the problem source.

KEN

Drew Ballard
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Drew Ballard   Email Drew Ballard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont believe it does have a fire trap i have cleaned the film trap and replaced the tenison straps im clueless now

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 10-10-2008 12:57 AM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also consider that somebody may have scratched it. Like you should keep track of when a scratch first appeared and who was working. If you start seeing a pattern, talk to the person in question.

Martin McCaffery
Film God

- posted 10-10-2008 09:07 AM      Profile for Martin McCaffery   Author's Homepage   Email Martin McCaffery   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next questions:
Base or Emulsion scratch?

Could someone have missed the bottom roller and scratched the film along the bottom of the soundhead?

Is there any emulsion build up in the projector or soundhead which would give a hint as to where the scratch is starting?

Drew Ballard
Film Handler

- posted 10-10-2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Drew Ballard   Email Drew Ballard   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
not real for sure when it started my boss noticed it and called me i havent noticed any kind of build up in the projector

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: