Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Help identify my Devry

Author Topic: Help identify my Devry
Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 10:18 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ive posted pictures of my Blue Devry a few years ago on this forum. It has been sitting in storage for years and I just dug it out the other day and realized it has a stereo cell installed.
It also has a strange intermittent I have never seen before along with a lever that sticks out of the top that moves the intermittent up and down. I am taking this apart to clean her up so the pictures show her with the gate assembly removed.The gate is a half gate compared to the gate in my other Devry. YOu can see the intermittent has a dedicated pinch roller that is also different. This projector is a completely different design then any other Devry I have seen. I have no idea where the oil drain screw is on this and the oil filler cap looks to be on the back side center top between the two chain drives.
The builder plate does say Devry. Id love to know more about this machine. Thank you!

-

[ 10-07-2008, 05:53 AM: Message edited by: Alan Gouger ]

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 01:43 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You'll have to fix your link in your note to make it work (looks like you doubled your HTML info in the URL box causing it not to load correctly), but it looks like an DeVry XD unit.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 08:14 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Monte

The link was working but I removed thinking it was against the forum rules or something.

The intermittent in this projector is something I have never seen before along with the rest of the projector compared to other Devrys but I was happy to see the stereo cell. I was thinking to cleaning her up and getting here going again but was interested in seeing if anyone knew more about this design.

Thank you!

Bob Koch
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 08:31 PM      Profile for Bob Koch   Email Bob Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
De Vry!s primary use for the last 40 years has been as rowboat anchors. I will admit I`ve not seen this intermittent before.You will forgive my bias on this as during the war [ww 2] some of the most rotten and corrupt navy personnel chose DeVry over tried and acceptable commercial projectors;i.e. Simplex,Motiograph,Century,and Brenkert. As we were in a war this was not paid attention to, but,I for one will never forget it. Kind of reminds me of the Lehman Bros in the news the last few days.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 08:48 PM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I run a Christie P35C with a full play system but I also have a few Devrys I use for screening trailers or 2k reels before building a print. This Devry was my very first 35mm projector and at the time I had no idea what it was but moving on to something else it got tossed into storage. I dug it up this weekend house cleaning and was about to toss this one in the dumpster when I realized how different this was to other Devrys.

Steven H. Krams
Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2008 07:06 AM      Profile for Steven H. Krams   Email Steven H. Krams   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your machine is Pre World War II. Many refinements and improvements were made over the years and finally culminating with the Model XD.

De Vry made a number of models prior to the War starting in the 1920 ( Silent Portable machines)

Despite the negative remarks and comments about the De Vry XD as purchased by the Armed services this machine fully met the specifications developed for Portable and Semi portable machines required by the Military.

While there were numerous permanent installations using standard commercial machines during the war most were not. The XD has been around for nearly 70 years. It has been used successfully for decades. It was cheap and it functioned well when properly taken care of and operated properly. There are still a number in service which we support from time to time.

Certainly commercial machines were better but then that was not what the XD was designed for. It compared favorably against the Holmes type 8 which also met the same specifications at the time.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-09-2008 10:53 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Steven. Just what I was looking for.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-09-2008 09:04 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The devry portable which was the same machine as the Devry Model 10 theatre machine without the pedestal under the lower magazine was far better than the Holmes portables
The later Devry model XD was also a good machine
I used to service many model 10's and XD machines in the caribean and northern canada
The produced a very good image but the soundhead was a pain to align

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-10-2008 10:38 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gordon McLeod
The produced a very good image
Thanks to the BB-66 Simplex intermittent they used!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: