Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 'The Duchess' - no DTS discs in circulation! (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: 'The Duchess' - no DTS discs in circulation!
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 12:19 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Informed by DTS today that Pathe in the UK have 'chosen' not to send-out DTS soundtrack discs with their copies of 'The Duchess'.

Having heard this (quite by chance, incidentally) I have requested that DTS send me a disc directly!

If you are based in the UK and intend to screen this film with DTS sound, you'd better request a disc directly from DTS ASAP.

What a joke!

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS seems to become more and more obsolete every day.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 09:52 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never paid attention to the DTS discs until I switched to a theatre where 10 out of 14 needed them to run in digital (the bigger city theatre before had everything reading off the dolby track). Now we have to book auditoriums differently if something doesn't come with a DTS disc.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-06-2008 10:13 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I have discs here, although it is distributed by Paramount Vantage and not Pathe.

I would think the lack of discs in the UK would be a decision of Pathe and not the fault of DTS.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-06-2008 11:20 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am referring DTS as a format. With Dolby Digital so easy to use and included on everything, there really isn't much of a reason to buy DTS products unless your audience is full of blind people, etc. For standard theaters it is pretty much useless, there are too many negatives about the format usually involving not getting discs and not all trailers supported.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-06-2008 11:35 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's handy to have for those occasions when we get used prints here. Both our Wall-E prints opened with 6. to 7 error rates. DTS allows me the luxury of not having to worry about whether or not it drops out altogether at some point when I'm not looking.

Tyler Potts
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 11:57 PM      Profile for Tyler Potts   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, were the Wall-E prints used? I'm surprised as my experience with Pixar has been all extremely low error numbers (sorry to get us off topic).

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 12:09 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes. Used and Scotch Guarded. [puke]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-07-2008 02:21 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Demand untreated prints. Say that they will not run through your projectors properly.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 04:31 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, the fault does indeed lie with the distributor (Pathe)! I didn't mean to suggest it was in any way the fault of DTS.

I am shocked that a distributor would make a decision to avoid despatching what, to some theatres, forms an essential element of the product being screened. If I were the director of this particular film, I might, rightly, feel a bit p***** off that some patrons are not hearing it in its full glory!

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 04:43 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean in Dolby Digital? [Wink] [Razz]

Phil Blake
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 04:48 AM      Profile for Phil Blake   Author's Homepage   Email Phil Blake   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
I could not agree more , it was bad before but the past few months DTS discs are indeed rare items in the booth these days,
Mamma Mia,Wanted, Dark Knight, Mummy 3,Taken, Wall.e,Journey to centre earth , no discs.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 10-07-2008 05:10 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Phil Blake
Mamma Mia,Wanted, Dark Knight, Mummy 3,Taken, Wall.e,Journey to centre earth , no discs.
Start demanding to know why not...I had discs for all these titles. Sounds like your dispatch are getting lazy.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 07:45 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As a second-run art house theatre we NEVER get DTS discs with the prints anymore. Even when I email or fax the distributor in advance (specifically requesting that they include the discs)I still don't receive them.

It's all very annoying because I recently spoke to a guy from a local multiplex who was complaining about all those 'useless DTS discs that he kept getting'! He said that they were making the place look a mess and was planning on throwing them away - fecking cretin!

In the meantime, as far as we are concerned, I just contact DTS directly and ask them for a copy!

Tim Asten
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 07:55 AM      Profile for Tim Asten   Email Tim Asten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In our cinema, at least 95% of films are supplied with DTS discs. It is my sound format of choice. As has been mentioned though, The Duchess was supplied with no discs. In my opinion, as long as the DTS players are serviced regularly, they are very reliable and sound great even with worn prints where the DD tracks have long since been unusable. Admittedly our 6D'S aren't as reliable as our XD10 which is excellent - It plays 6 track sound, does subtitles, and plays audio description all at the same time if need be with only the odd glitch here and there. shame we have only the one unit at the moment.
Tim.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: