Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Igniter Weirdness

Author Topic: Strong Igniter Weirdness
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-04-2008 12:48 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So today when we lost another OSRAM bulb that had only 1700 hours on it (2Kwatt), I tried striking it manually on our exciting Strong X90 lamphouse. You could hear it trying: TSK TSK TSK TSK TSK TSK TSK TSK TSK TSK TSK all in extremely rapid succession. But when I turned the lamp switch off, it kept trying to strike, but it slowed down like TSK TSK TSK TSK... TSK... TSK..... TSK.......TSK.............. TSK.................. TSK....................... for several seconds until it stopped, kind of similar to how you can hear a projector intermittent slow down when you shut off the motor with film in it. This event was repeatable. WTF? Do Strong igniters have some sort of gerbil running around in a rollcage in order to strike the bulb?

How do Strong igniters work?

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 10-04-2008 12:57 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was still getting DC from the rectifier filter caps, which gradually discharged.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 10-04-2008 02:11 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Switch to Christies and problems can be drastically reduced...I was losing 2k Osrams in around that frequency also)

Depends on what vintage your console is, but see if the cathode cable isn't too close to ground, for it will arc through the fibreglass insulation - I found that one episode out the hard way.

Black boxed that are mounted on the back wall are DC ignitors, whereas the white ones mounted behing the mirror ar AC ignitor.

Also, when your ignitor pulses too many times, you'll get an IGN red LED warning light on the rectifier (if your rectifier has the six LED lights), whereas you need to switched off and on the rectifier by the triple throw switch in the handle area to reset that IGN warning light.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2008 11:54 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Double check the lamphouse exhaust system. While we sell very few Osram lamps they almost normally do make warranty hours.

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-04-2008 01:16 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would check the no load voltage On some lamps as they age the no load maybe sufficient to suto fire the ignitor (on older strongs that is dependent on the value of the zenier on the control card) but may be to low to establish an arc across the lamp

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: