Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What do you use to clean and lube? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: What do you use to clean and lube?
Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2008 12:11 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am running out of our favorite lubricant (bummer...)that we use to lube the Dampening sprocket. We have been using this stuff called Tef-Lube. It is a PTFE Lubricant will any ol PTFE lubricant work or is their specific reasons not to use anything but a certain type?

Secondly how do you clean your sound heads. we currently use some 90% Alcohol and a Q-Tip.

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-04-2008 12:38 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't find myself needing to use lube very much, but when I need to squeeze something in or get something moving I usually just apply a bit of Filmguard. I never use Xekote II.

I wipe my sounddrum with a shop rag once in a blue moon (ie: when it needs it). The optics I use lens cleaner and a Q-tip from time to time.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-04-2008 07:08 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
XECOTE is gone....not sold. Louis

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 10-04-2008 11:28 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the days of mechanical typewriter, adding machines, we found that all the ptfe lubes would in a week or two turn to goo and gum up small moving parts rendering the machine inoperable. Most of the equipment manufacturers recommended against their use. Ptfe engine oil additives are gone too, the result of suits resulting from blocked oil passages and wrecked engines.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-04-2008 11:47 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I pretty much only use two greases... SuperLube or Mobil-1 wheel bearing lube depending on the job. Neither will turn to goo on you because both are synthetic. Both are similar except Mobil-1 takes a lot higher heat. Super Lube is available at many bearing supply houses and Mobil-1 is at any CarQuest or similar store...

Mark

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 10-04-2008 12:09 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am not qualified to comment on lubricants, but I am quite fond of VM&P naphtha for cleaning. It is a grease solvent (good for oil spills) and is also useful for removing tape goo from film (John Pytlak said that it is safe for film in small quantities). Any paint or hardware stor will sell it. Unfortunately, it is quite flammable.

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2008 01:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The gum up issue is why I gave up WD-40 a long time ago. I did not think the problem existed with PTFE only that it eventually evaporated into nothing, or so I was told. I also have the problem of their being a felt washer in the end of the Dampening Sprocket. Most of which are either completely clogged with (I guess now) goo or they have simply worn away. I am not sure but I think this washer may be unique to The Horizon line if not does any one know where to get more or if it is simple felt material could I make my own?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-04-2008 01:11 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For years on the prevost machines that had a similar sprocket system I used Dow corning high vacuum grease as it provided sufficent damping action

Fred Tucker
Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2008 08:59 AM      Profile for Fred Tucker   Email Fred Tucker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As far as lubricants go ther is nothing that beats PB Blaster. It doesnt gum up or get sticky. It works gret and has saved my but many times even before I got into this business. http://www.blastergroup.com.au/PB_Blaster.html

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2008 11:47 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been curious about that PB Blaster stuff as I have seen it everywhere I go looking for more Lube. I think I will give it a try.

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2008 02:00 PM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
XECOTE is gone....not sold.
Louis, is this for the same reasons as 1.1.1 tricloroethane is going out of the market?

Andrés

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-05-2008 02:24 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Use a thin piece of felt and cut it to fit and that will work but it must have some form of sticking lube on it for it to damp properly

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 10-05-2008 05:28 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dampening sprockets or rollers usually on these machines and some European makes, need cleaning and adjusting around 200 - 300 hours of use.....

Andrew Bangs
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 12:43 AM      Profile for Andrew Bangs   Author's Homepage   Email Andrew Bangs   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We were cleaning ours once a month but have now switched to once every other week.
aprox. every 96-100 hrs.

quote: Gordon McLeod
some form of sticking lube
Like what?
We have a washer that encloses the felt into the end of the Sprocket would regular lube work in that case?

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-06-2008 09:56 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I always used the Dow Corning Silicon High Vacuum greese that was used to hold the O rings into the 15K lamps on the Imax
One could also use the clutch oil for takeups from Cinemecanica

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: