Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Strong Power Supply Wiring Issue

Author Topic: Strong Power Supply Wiring Issue
James Ness
Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2008 08:07 PM      Profile for James Ness   Author's Homepage   Email James Ness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So we just had a Strong 6280112 go out, so we replaced it today with a new Strong 6200017. It's all working and everything but for some reason the bulb won't shut off automatically. We're pretty sure its something to do with these two wires because they came loose from the lamphouse end when we were removing the old power supply before we could write down where they attached to, any ideas?

-
 -

the console is a strong super highlight
the bulb strikes and runs fine, it just will not auto shut off at the end of the movie or if you hit stop or if you depress the auto button

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-03-2008 09:42 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its pretty simple. Terminals 2&4 on the rectifier terminal block supply 120 vac to the console for ignitor, blower and control loop. The return back into the lamphouse is 3&6 which go to the solid state relay to turn on the 3-phase power to the rectifier circuit itself. If you disconnect 3&6 the rectifier(and lamp) should turn off. If not then you have a shorted solid state relay in the rectifier(it does happen!). You can turn off the switching(automation AND manual switch!) for this circuit and measure with an AC voltmeter and see if it's turning off or not, if not then trace out the console to find the culprit. There should be a manual on Strong's web site and possibly in the manuals section of this site.

If you're in doubt about SAFELY working with AC voltages then get an electrician in to do it for you. There are lethal voltages present in the connection box of that rectifier!

Hope this helps

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-03-2008 10:42 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would not surprise me to hear you found out the new switcher was defective. On a job a year or so ago, I went through THREE of those blasted things..brand new from Ballenswine. One was D.O.A., the second failed after a few hours and the third one did what yours is doing, it wouldn't shut off. Even with the wires on 2,4, 3, and 6 completely disconnected!!

At least Wrong did pay on their nickle to ship the supplies back and forth. [Smile]

[ 10-05-2008, 12:25 AM: Message edited by: Tony Bandiera Jr ]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-04-2008 07:11 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably the same one! Louis

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-05-2008 12:24 AM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, that would not surprise me in the least. [Smile]

James, can you post the serial number from thast power supply? I'll look up my paperwork and see if it's the same one. [Smile]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2008 03:05 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had any problems with their 2k switchers, but I went through quite a few of the 3k's at another location. In fact, I have 4 of the bigger black suit case size one's in use here. They've been in service for near 15 years.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2008 09:20 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to Strong, there has been a problem hooking up the grey compact switcher (if this is the one you got) to the consoles. I had a bunch of them that did the same thing. The only fix was to add a relay to the control wires. A simple fix but I don't remember the wiring. Call Strong. They will tell you how.

James Ness
Film Handler

- posted 10-07-2008 02:04 PM      Profile for James Ness   Author's Homepage   Email James Ness   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah its one of the grey compact switchers
that makes sense, i'll give strong a call, thanks [Smile]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: