Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » No DTS on Religulous

Author Topic: No DTS on Religulous
Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2008 02:57 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I was assembling the film, I noticed the DTS code on the film but we had no DTS disks. I called the powers to be and was informed by the young lass on the left coast that they ran out of money and could not print the discs.

I have not seen it yet, however I assume its terrible.

Louis

|  IP: Logged

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-03-2008 05:59 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to the Lionsgate flyer that came with our print, it is only SR/SRD, so I was also surprised to see the DTS timecode.

This wouldn't be the first time a print has had DTS timecode, but no discs actually exist. If memory serves, "The Queen" had at least some reels that had DTS timecode.

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2008 12:20 AM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
DTS Digital Cinema encourages filmmakers to include DTS timecode on their shows, even if there is no budget to license DTS Digital sound at the time of final printmastering, so as to preserve the ability to add DTS Digital Sound at a later date. It is therefore not completely unusual for a film to eventually go into release without DTS Digital Sound having been licensed, but with timecode tracks on the release prints.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2008 02:00 PM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a chance to see part of this film, my assumptions were correct, its [bs] .

It stars Bill Maher, talking in general about Bill Maher.

Waste of film stock.

Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 10-04-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The review forum is elsewhere.

Richard May
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 10-05-2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Richard May   Email Richard May   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Daniel said, many prints have the timecode but don't actually have disks made. We have had many prints like that.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-06-2008 12:13 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The incorporation of DTS timecode on the print also facilitates the use of Audio Description and/or subtitling even though the print itself may only have either an analogue or Dolby Digital soundtrack.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: