Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP100 Power Supply Failure

Author Topic: CP100 Power Supply Failure
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 03:16 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have CP-100 with pad supply. Transformer is okay and I have voltages on secondary and as well on rectifier. Only voltage I have is 15V, so there aren't -15V and 21V. I see power transistor is located on rear panel with rectifier and transformer, and rest of supply electronic is on cat 81. Does anybody know what may couse this failure.

Don't know why but power supply desing is very stupid to say, all components around frame, different filter caps on positive/negative side.....why they didn't make card for it....

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 10-01-2008 03:21 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Most likely old age. [Smile] That unit would be over 30+ years old. Also any bad modules with a sustained short may cause the supply to let go.

I would change the transistor and ALL of the capacitors in the power supply and the CAT81 to bring it back to life.

Are there any burned parts?

I think the manual for the CP-100 had the schematic for the power supply.

Edited to add: I noticed you're looking to buy a Sony SDDS..I'd suggest you first get a used CP-200 or CP-55 or CP-65 to get away from the CP-100 [Smile]

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 03:54 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Edited to add: I noticed you're looking to buy a Sony SDDS..I'd suggest you first get a used CP-200 or CP-55 or CP-65 to get away from the CP-100 [Smile]
Well....CP100 is a gift from a friend, so servicing it just for fun. DCP-1000 is better than CP100/200/55

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 03:56 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The processor he's looking for is the DCP-1000 which was Sony's digital processor for analog optical sound.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 10-01-2008 05:17 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disagree....Sony was vastly inferior to Dolby on analog. Louis

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-01-2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Disagree....Sony was vastly inferior to Dolby on analog. Louis
I don't think as we speak in technical way because DCP1000 has outstanding quality over analog SR and matrix decoding!

If someone wish, he can fly here, in friends cinema we have CP650SR, SDDS DFP-D2000 and DCP1000 installed, so I will play movie and you tell me which is dolby which is sony!

Second, i fixed this CP100, only I can't find what is CAT 148 for? Also when I press bypass I hear some sirens from rear small speaker [Smile]

There are three format cards should be, in that place I have only two, one is CAT148 and other near 148 is CAT110.
P.S. Robert, I send you PM, please read it.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 10-01-2008 06:19 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
One Format card is for optical formats
One is for Mag formats
The third is for external formats
The CP100 was very versitile as one could get out a soldering iron and make it do almost anything

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 10-01-2008 08:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP-100 power supply is by far Dolby's most bullett proof power supply design. You obviously have the -32 volt raw supply since the -15 volt regulator still lives. So first check the raw +32 volt supply as this feeds both the +21 and +15 volt regulators... if it's ok then pay very close attention to the little blue tantlum caps on the facilities module as they tend to all fail sooner than later... I bet you find one that has shorted. I remember there is a little blue one on the fader card, I believe C-1, that when it fails you have no output at all since it kills the fader line. Use a good grade at least 85c rated alumnium electrolytic cap in place of the existing ones and the 100 may outlast even you! I've never had an actual transistor fail in a CP-100 ever... just caps.

The worst performing module on the 100 is the fader module... it has lots of crossover distortion at higher frequencies>15khz... It can be replaced with a later module by the use as Gord says of a soldering iron and the result is alot cleaner sound.

Good luck getting parts for your DCP-1000 [Confused] .

Hope this helps...
Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-01-2008 11:17 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
God...Sony's NR2 (aka SR wanna be) was a rather shoddy SR emulator...even Sony acknowledged that it wasn't so good...afterall, you were supposed to be in digital anyway!

I'll take a CP200 over most any other processor for flexibility but even it is getting to be a bit too old.

Steve

Max Biela
Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2008 01:36 AM      Profile for Max Biela   Email Max Biela   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to agree with Louis and Steve. The "SR" had pumping effects no matter what you do. I tested it in about 5 cinemas with different soundtrack readers as some claimed that this was a result of bad high frequency response of the reader and incorrect slitloss correction made with color testfilms - no luck. Its a shame since the DCP-1000 is a really clever designed processor and probably one of the most flexible out there (in terms of possible inputs) with its plug-in boards. Beside crappy SR noise reduction the DCP sounds good and has really good ADCs/DACs built in.
Also, be aware that every firmware has some bugs. In 2.11 the DTS/SRD surround channels pass the same low pass filter as the A/SR surround channel resulting in crappy high frequency response. You don't have this problem when you did an upgrade to 2.14 - but the 2.14 firmware introduces loud clicking when switching between inputs.

Its up to you to decide which bug you like better [Wink]

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2008 05:22 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CP100 is fixed, bad cap's in regulator.

First isn't so hard to find parts for DCP1000 at all!

That "pumping" effect is story to tell....I did compared it to CP650SR and there were couple of us, they said DCP has more sharper sound and that they love it, also DCP has much more hadroom and level over dolby.

Both processor are working fine, now is question of taste to chose what is better, but DCP if performing much better than upgradible CP50, CP55, and CP45 that I can tell for sure.

The thing I love in DCP is way the have inputs, in art cinema we have numerous inputs like DVD or PC which are 6channel and BETA which is stereo only, so with this I can have multiple 6 ch inputs!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 10-02-2008 07:31 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You mean like with the Panastereo CSP1200? It has 3 six channel inputs....want more, you could have added the CSP4600 rack and brought that up to 8 6-channel inputs.

As for SR...in the Panastereo...you either had their excellent CM353 module or just plug in the Dolby Cat280...you can match it better than that. The Pana is also the quietest cinema processor off all time with the best headroom. No A/D converters since it is all high-end analog...you can't beat it.

Steve

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 10-02-2008 08:13 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes! I agree with all about panastereo, no doubt on that. But DCP can offer 8 8ch inputs without any aditional rack, just put cads [Big Grin]

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 10-04-2008 12:24 AM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like my CP100 With its sr mods sounds great,and the mag inputs are great for all kinds of inputs.

Stan

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: