Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Noise problem on SONY DCP1000

Author Topic: Noise problem on SONY DCP1000
Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 01:38 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the problem:

One night I did noticed strange noise on L channel, some noise....but sound on L was okay, and during louder parts in movie you can't hear noise because isn't high in level. Than I did go to investigate what is about....everything was normal, also I try to use Lc output but same, even I changed output balanced driver and TL072 and DS e-potmeter before it but same. But I noticed that on AIN (8ch external input card) L and Lc level shows -600dB, where else are -90dB normal....i did unplug card and than noise is gone....I was think is because of bad AIN card....but after some days noise is here again, symptoms same as first time, but noise is quite low now...and noticeable only during silence parts.....

I did plug in AOUT card from another processor and noise is gone....so probably problem is in that card, only thing I didn't change is AD converter CS4328 because I don't have any...but I tested signal path and noise is coming wright on AD output, and normally when I lower master level it gone, but if some signal arrives it appears...it behave like GATE.

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 02:37 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are on-board voltage regulators (7805/7905) on the AOUT card that power the DACs. I would check the +/- 5V supply to the DACs for noise.

L and Lc also share a DAC (IC10), so it may very well be the DAC.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 03:35 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I did check voltage, it's normal -5V/5V. So last thing is to check DAC...only I don't have any to replace it.....
Robert, are you maybe know other possibilities of this failure?

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only other thing on the AOUT card that would produce noise at the DAC output itself other than the DAC and the power supply would be the TDM bus interface. Since you said the noise was low in level this would mean that only the low-order bits are being corrupted, which is an incredibly unlikely way for it to fail.

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmm....strange indead....and bus interface is some pre-programmed mcu??

But other card is working well...so probably is something with AOUT itself?

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: