Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Bolt Released Digital Only (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Bolt Released Digital Only
Vaughn Hamrick
Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 09:07 AM      Profile for Vaughn Hamrick   Email Vaughn Hamrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are in the process of attempting to start a drive in theater in town since the only one left recently closed. My booker tells me that the new Disney 3D film Bolt isn't going to be released on 35mm 3D, but digital only. Who knows anything on this and can more of the same be expected from Disney? We recently came a cross a set of brand new 3D lenses for our projection system and were very dissapointed to hear that it won't be released on 35mm 3 D. Does this mean that no 35mm prints at all will be available?

|  IP: Logged

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 09:14 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There has been rumours of this going around,

Bolt 3D - Digital Format

Configuration we are going to use will be CP2K Projector with Dolby 3D... However still waiting for more info from Disney.

Movie is expected to be released somewhere in November i heard.

Regards
Dan

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-30-2008 09:57 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can still get a 2D 35mm print. The current generation of 3D films all use digital. Additionally, I would not recommend 3D for a drive in as screen luminance may already be an issue. 3D cuts perceived light in half.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 10:59 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Vaughn Hamrick
We recently came a cross a set of brand new 3D lenses for our projection system
As far as I know, the only "3-D Lenses" I'm aware of were made by Paramount in the late 1950's & early 60's and by STEREOVISION in the late 1970's & early 80's.

All the other 3D systems used the theatre's regular lenses with polarizing filters attached either to the front of the lens or on the projection ports.

Both the PARAMOUNT and STEROVISION systems used the "over-&-under" process where the left and right images were printed as two two half-height (2-perf high) frames into the space of a standard 35mm 4perf high frame.

The "3-D Lens" then superimposed the two images as one onto the screen.

To the best of my knowledge, the 'over & under' system is not currently being used by anyone anymore and is pretty much obsolete.

(And if I'm wrong about that, I'm sure someone here will correct me)

Both the PARAMOUNT & STEREOVISION systems introduced some significant light-loss due to the extra prisms,etc necessary to their operation. (I've heard the PARAMOUNT lenses were the worst as far as light loss goes) As several other people here have pointed out, this would make the use of either of these systems impractical or in many cases impossible for drive-in use.

Tech literature for both systems also stress the absolute importance of having good screen masking for proper perception of the 3-D effect. I don't think I've ever seen a drive-in screen with masking.

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 09-30-2008 11:02 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd agree with all the above... especially the part about trying 35mm 3D at a drive-in.

We've got really good lamps, really good reflectors and really white screens. The last 3D film we tried was "Spy Kids 3D", and content aside, the 3D was TERRIBLE... and yes, you do lose a lot of light. I wouldn't do it again.

Congrats on your project. Hope you can get your drive-in open soon.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't hold my breath for any film 3D ever again. For all its weaknesses, digital is a much better 3D technology (in my opinion) and nobody is going to strike a dual inventory of 2D/3D 35mm prints. I also wouldn't count on having it in 3D making you any more money, because if it sucks, it sucks, and people will only sit through so many gimmicky and substanceless movies before they tire of 3D. To put it another way, if it is going to do well, it will do well regardless of how many "D"s are involved. If it will do poorly, well, you can't have forgotten Journey to the Center of a Plotless Gimmicky Piece of Crap already, nor Fly Me to the Cheesy Idiotic Piece of Crap.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-30-2008 12:27 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since no one has mentioned it, I'll point out that polarized 3D requires a silver screen. Has anyone ever tried painting a drive-in screen silver and, if so, how did it work out? The angle of view would be reduced due to the higher gain, which might be an issue in most drive-ins.

For what it's worth, Surplus Shed sells the Paramount 3D mirror boxes cheaply. These are for the over/under system. The mirror boxes for the side-by-side system are similar but not interchangeable. Someone (Stereovision?) rents these and would probably sell them expensively if you wanted them.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 02:52 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Scott Norwood
For what it's worth, Surplus Shed sells the Paramount 3D mirror boxes
WoW! Cool!
Looked at the website and I'm definately ordering one of these to play around with. I have access to some over-under stuff and also a bunch of over-under camera tests shot in the mid 1980's.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 03:37 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For Spykids 3D (and the later film Sharkboy & Lavagirl), they produced 35mm anaglyph prints in addition to the digital 3D versions. The anaglyph worked by taking the red channel from the left camera, and the blue&green channels from the right. I had the (mis) fortune of seeing the anaglyph versions at the Sheffield VUE...

While the 3D effects were pretty good and worked well, the 'ghosting' you got around the images was very distracting. That's probably why they don't make anaglyph prints any more.

The advantage is that the theater doesn't have to upgrade any of its equipment; it's just a normal 35mm print run through the projector like any other. But the disadvantages far outweigh this small advantage.

Full-color 3D systems are the only way to go forward, and in these days that often means digital projection.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 09-30-2008 04:40 PM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Has anyone ever tried painting a drive-in screen silver
Isn't a lenticular surface also required? [Confused]

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 04:54 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The screen doesn't need to be lenticular, it only needs to preserve polarization. I don't know if any old silver paint would suffice for that, but there might be some that do.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-30-2008 05:42 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
For Spykids 3D (and the later film Sharkboy & Lavagirl), they produced 35mm anaglyph prints in addition to the digital 3D versions.
All of those shows were anaglyph, even DLP shows. The current string of "Digital 3D" films began with Disney's Chicken Little.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-30-2008 05:45 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Disney's current knack of having 'In selected cinemas in Disney Digital 3D' on the trailers is annoying. It's OK if I have it, but if I don't...why on earth would I want to advertise the opposition?

[Confused]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 09-30-2008 07:01 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surplus Shed
Scott, you're good!

Although, I did NOT need to know about this place... nor that it's right in my back yard! I'm spending enough money as it is! [Wink]

Mark J. Marshall
Film God

- posted 09-30-2008 07:46 PM      Profile for Mark J. Marshall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
For all its weaknesses, digital is a much better 3D technology (in my opinion)
I would say "cheaper" and "easier", but not necessarily better. Especially when you're talking about one projector putting both eyes on the screen, which results in the eyes being slightly out of sync. Admittedly, most people don't recognize that as a problem, but some people do.

A properly run and perfectly tuned single projector digital 3D setup can not compare to a perfectly tuned and properly run dual strip 35mm setup. The digital setup is certainly easier to run though, and for a lot of people, the end result on the screen is also "close enough".

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: