Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » SDDS 3000 through CP200?

Author Topic: SDDS 3000 through CP200?
Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 04:05 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Chris Trainor posted this question in a previous thread, but it never got an answer. I'd like to run an SDDS 3000 through my cp 200 (I will be running 70mm mag and I do have 5 stage speakers) Has anyone done this and if so, could you enlighten me on how to accomplish it? I don't have a lot of experience with these systems so please be kind and, if possible, pictures are always helpful [Smile] . Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-28-2008 05:21 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are numerous ways to accomplish this, depending on how slick you are or want the interface to be.

You have several issues to overcome though. You have a balanced processor (the Sony) and an unbalanced processor (the Dolby). Generally speaking, you will often run into hum problems interfacing a balanced output to an unbalanced input. If it were me...I'd be using transformers to isolate the Sony...but that is just one factor.

You also have choices...you can have the CP200s signal path flow through the Sony. That is, have the output of JM11 feed into an AUX input of the DFPD3000 and then have the output of the DFPD3000 feed into JM21 (and the Cat 560 subwoofer in). I wouldn't like this way much...the Sony is too much in the signal path and has the ability to kill it...plus now everything is going through the unbal->bal->unbal conversion.

I would favor using a relay board such as DTS' CP200 interface board. Either the DTS6D or the XD10 board will work but you will need to provide power. The D3000 has 5V on its automation connector though I don't know if it has the current needed to power the DTS board. The XD10s interface board is looking for 12V and the CP200 can supply that so it is probably the better choice.

The DTS board will neatly interrupt the JM11/21 signal path and avoid you having to make an IDC to Dsub cables.

Do you have a DA20 in line? If so, then perform the mods listed here in the manuals section (Field bulletin) to mod the DA20 to allow subwoofer pass-through.

Logic wise, you have some more work ahead of you. You need to tell the CP200 that the SDDS has a valid signal so it can interrupt the signal path or to release the DTS relay board when you need optical sound.

SDDS works with TTL level (5V) pulsed logic. The CP200 works with CMOS 15V(ish) latched logic. Using a pair of 5V reed relays (To keep the current down) you can make a pulsed/latched converter and keep the two logics separate.

Now if you are truely slick, you will make a new format that selects SDDS when you want that option. And if you have other digital formats (DTS and or Dolby) then also have a means to prioritize the digitals so if one fails, the next favorite one is already on-line and so forth.

Sorry, not pictures here from me...other than an installation where I do have two DA20s, a pair of XD10s and a DFP-D2500. In this installation, we opted to let the D2500 come after the CP200. The D2500 is in full hard bypass when it isn't being used and it functions, even in bypass, as a really nice 8-channel VU-Meter. The D3000, designed to be the main processor, would not offer that feature and probably would have been wired as an "A-chain" device if it was used.

-

This really shouldn't be attempted by the casual user/installer. You will drive whom ever is trying to help you crazy with questions.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-28-2008 07:17 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I did that in my screening room via the JM11 and JM21 connections and had no problems with hum or noise. That was, however, years ago and I don't remember all of the specifics I had to do. I do recall having to deal with the automation connector on the DFP3000 and using a dts board for the CP200.

In short, its a major pain in the ass. Do you REALLY need that format and functionality?

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 10:27 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve and Brad, to answer your questions, no, I no longer have my DA-20. We had need of it and the rest of my Dolby system at the theatre. This installation is in my home screening room. I don't have the resources for another DD system at the moment and the Sony is the only digital system I have available.

Now, I know this isn't exactly ideal, but wouldn't it work ok to simply make up two harnesses and physically change the input source to the crossover? (I'm bi-amping the stage channels) So when needing digital, you just simply unplug the cp200 and plug in the Sony. Or am I being naive and completely missing something. It's not like I've got to be ready to switch formats in seconds. And as far as the analog goes if digital would drop, would there be a problem running the analog to both processors and merely shutting down the system that's not in use?

Sorry to take such a simplistic approach, but with Steve's explanation of some of the problems to over come and Brad's excellent point as well, maybe with my limited knowledge of such things, I'm better off to keep it as simple as possible.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-29-2008 09:28 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott,

If that is all you are trying to do...make it simple on yourself.

Wire the output of the CP200 to the Aux1 in put of the DFP-D3000. Wire the output of the DFP-D3000 to your crossovers/amps.

In the D3000 set up, don't have the 3000 apply its EQ to the Aux input and have the SDDS fallback be to Aux1.

In the event you have some sort of SDDS issue, just unplug the Aux 1 (from the CP200) and the output of the SDDS and plug them together (they will be pin-for-pin) so you have a hard bypass.

Easy pezzy.

Steve

Scott Balko
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-29-2008 07:16 PM      Profile for Scott Balko   Email Scott Balko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve, that sounds more my speed. I actually understand that procedure. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-29-2008 08:13 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We have been seeing less and less SDDS tracks around this neck of the woods over the last few months... I feel the end for SDDS is very near.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2008 12:53 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
I haven't seen ANY decrease in SDDS tracks. Are you sure Mark? If my print of a given title has SDDS, so will one in your neck of the woods.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 08:05 AM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe they don't bother to print the SDDS tracks on the bowdlerized soundtrack negative. [Wink]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-30-2008 08:15 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, in fact a few customers with SDDS units have mentioned this to us over the last month or so.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-30-2008 12:00 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Probably art houses or people who have been smoking that I-30 stuff. Again, there has been SDDS on every major release here.

Sean Weitzel
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 12:40 PM      Profile for Sean Weitzel   Email Sean Weitzel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it cost the studios any kind of licensing fee to create the various digital tracks? or once the equipment and software is in place at the post houses they can shoot all the tracks they want? If the latter is true, I wouldn't see why there would be a decrease in the number of titles with an SDDS track..

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-30-2008 09:06 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only stuff I've seen come through without SDDS are the US-based independent prints along with Bollywood.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: