Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Rank the various brands of splicing tape (Page 1)

This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Author Topic: Rank the various brands of splicing tape
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-22-2008 03:35 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How do you feel about certain brands/styles of splicing tape?

I've always used Neumade Clear for just about everything. Nothing is as good. Nothing. Seriously. If you are a splicing tape manufacturer, this is the tape to beat (or at the very least equal). It leaves no residue when peeled off and doesn't gum up the splicer. It has a cardboard core so it is difficult to use with a Strong splicer. But you really shouldn't use a Strong of splicer since it is inferior (this is fact, not opinion).

I use Neumade Yellow to break down prints mainly because we have so much of it and it beats wasting the clear tape. There is no reason to ever use it for any other reason. It seems to be of similar quality to the clear tape. It doesn't peel quite as easily as the clear tape, but you really should only use one-sided splices when breaking down a print, so that's not much of an issue.

Neumade Zebra (aka Striped) seems to be a bit inferior in the quality department, as it gums up splicers a bit. There is no need to use zebra/striped tape for any reason unless you have extreme difficulties breaking down a print for some reason (in which case you are probably a manager). There is no reason for this to exist. Can leave residue when peeled off if it has been on the print for awhile.

There was some other kind of zebra tape that Mann Theaters bought us when we opened up the Chinese 16 in Aurora Colorado about 40 years ago. The yellow stripes were very muted compared to the Neumade zebra and it gummed up the splicers BIG TIME. I don't remember the brand, but maybe it was CIR? Don't quote me on that. Leaves sticky residue pretty much immediately.

I just got an order of clear tape in that is made by Jack Roe. I assume each individual roll is hand-inspected by Jack himself (if not, I want a refund). I ordered Neumade clear tape, but I can't be certain if my manager specified Neumade or not. I have not used it yet and am afraid of it, as it seems kind of cheap. It does have a plastic core, though. Yippee. I wonder if it will leave residue or gum up my splicer.

There is also some weird kind of red striped tape that is similar to zebra tape, but is supposed to prevent digital sound from cutting out. I tested it and it did not live up to that promise, plus the quality was pretty bad (and gummy). This was a long time ago so things may have changed. Still, there is no need for this tape when all reel changes should be spliced with clear tape.

I also hate white tape that leaves those four dots behind. What's up with that?

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-22-2008 03:47 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
But you really shouldn't use a Strong of splicer since it is inferior (this is fact, not opinion).

True, that has to be the WORST splicer ever conceived - the SP35 from the "Wrong International Company." Where did they slip up on not having a roller to mount the tape on? Don't they know that it's pure hell to pull the tape across when the side goo from the roll of tape loves to adhere itself to those springey side supports of the tape holder??

...and I thought Marble splicers tanked in the low column...

I love the JackRoe stuff - easy to pull and cut. Does the job for us. The Neumade stuff is so tough to pull along with being more expensive. Granted, it holds the two films better and doesn't flex (hinge the splice) with time, but where we change out movies so much, Jack Roe does us fine.

There is also some weird kind of red striped tape
That's "Splicemark" tape - made in Gr.Britian. It really does the job well when splicing film used for Dolby Digital. Yet, sadly a lot of booth monkeys are not trained correctly on how to use the "Splicemark" tape - where the thin edge should be used soundtrack side, covering over the SDDS track, but not covering the Dolby information.

There's even a trick that I do with Zebra: for FLAT - pull with the clear section and splice with the dotted section. for SCOPE - splice with the clear sections of the tape and pull with the dotted section.

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 03:55 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think Carmike subcribes to the tape of the month club. But I'm wondering about Joe's Zebra tape. We had a couple of tapes we called zebra. We had a magenta/clear tape, a white/clear tape, and a tape that was all clear except a yellow marking in the shape of an H across it. The latter I beleive is more properly called T-splice. Where do these guys fit in? I actually liked the T-Splice. It held up decent, was clear to the picture, but still visible to the projectionist.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-22-2008 04:01 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Confused] thought Carmike went all digital - they still have "film" cinemas?

Charles Greenlee
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 04:18 AM      Profile for Charles Greenlee   Author's Homepage   Email Charles Greenlee   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This was when they were still film. Been away from carmike for a few years. But they do still have some film projectors in the rare event of a film only release.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 08:42 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been using the Jack Roe "T-STRIPE" splicing tape for 4 years. Never had a problem with it. I tried using clear splicing tape and then applying a strip of the yellow edgemark tape to the film. It was too much of a pain in the butt to get the little strips of tape folded over the edge of the film.
The T-Stripe stuff produces the same results in one application.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 09-22-2008 08:45 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1. Neumade clear
2. Everything else

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-22-2008 09:45 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Will never use Neumade again, had some splices come apart with the stuff a few years ago, it has a yellow tint, very visible on the screen, crap.
Have used only Jack Roe except for a year or so when I tried Newmade. NEVER had a problem with Jack Roe tape in 20 years.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-22-2008 12:41 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Bill Enos
Will never use Neumade again, had some splices come apart with the stuff a few years ago, it has a yellow tint, very visible on the screen, crap.
Bullshit. That "yellow tint" has the same refractory index of the film. It is NOT visible on screen. I have also NEVER seen a properly made Neumade splice break.

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 01:40 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always used what you guys are calling T-stripe, though I thought that was zebra tape. I'm pretty sure I've always used Neumade, and I've never had any problem with it. I briefly used clear tape because I was interested to see if there was any on screen difference, but a well placed stripe is virtually invisible even to my eye. I find using it has the dual advantage of helping other people break down as well as distinguishing between intentional, reel change splices and splices to repair damage or replace a lab splice, for which I've used Neumade clear. I've never had a problem with drops from digital on any tape splice.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-22-2008 01:42 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tape didn't break, it came unstuck from clean non oily film. Two sleeves of the stuff were just barely sticky. It came from a reputable dealer, I have reason to question his saying the tape was not over age. Granted, I used two other sleeves of the Neumade without incident but three splices coming apart while running is all it took to make a disbeliever of me. Maybe it was made while the quality control inspector was taking a [bs] It was clear non perf.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 02:02 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I'd really like to see is a review of CUE tape.
Some is definiately better than others, in terms of overall quality and durability.

What is cue tape made from anyway? Is that stuff really a thin stip of adheasive-backed metal, or some sort of 'metalized-paper-particle" compound?

ALL of my booths are located only a few blocks from and within sight of either the Pacific Ocean or San Francisco Bay. (and in one case, both!)

"Salt air" can take its' toll on mechanical and electronic equipment if one is not constantly vigilant.

Cue tape is often one of the first casualties. I find some brands 'oxidize' easier than others, greatly shortening their useful lifspan once applied to a print.

For maximum effectiveness, I find that I have to keep ALL brands of unused cue tape sealed in plastic bags or even better- old cat food cans- to keep it fresh.
(sure, it smells like dead fish-guts - - but it doesn't oxidize!)

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-22-2008 02:38 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use 25mm red stripe from Jack Roe for reel splice and clear 15mm from Jack Roe for lab splice (we cut them away).

There is no thanks to the "buffer" feature of SRD.

About 15mm clear tape, if SRD around the splice is printed properly, there is no dropout.

Marco

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-22-2008 06:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So why do you guys use marked tape for reel splices? Are you incompetent? Can you not feel for the splice as you are breaking down, or are there just sooo many other splices in the film from bad handling?

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 06:40 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So why do you guys use marked tape for reel splices? Are you incompetent?
I'm many cases I'm sure that it's because a lot of good projectionists are forced to work with people who are incompetent.

I've been in this situation in the past.
If it were up to me, < I > would have made up and broken down all the shows. But this was not always possible.

So, it was necessary to "dumb down" the process so that less technically qualified staff could handle the task in between selling tickets, popping corn and putting new toilet paper in the restrooms.

Oh, c'mon, edge-marked tape isn't all THAT bad, if applied properly so that it doesn't show up on screen.

I remember back when platters first started appearing in booths (IMO, one of the first signs of the decline of the human race [Roll Eyes] ) and it was not uncommon to get reels where head & tail ends of each reel were marked with white instant shoe polish to make them easy to find when breaking down.

After a while, the shoe polish would start flaking off and, thanks to the superior static electric properties of acetate film, particles would stick all over the image area of the film, making it look like you were watching a movie during a snowstorm.

Since I was working in a change-over house it was often a challange trying to figure out what exactly was a cue mark and what was just a piece of polish.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 7 pages: 1  2  3  4  5  6  7 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: