Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Film Tech Media Pads plastic coupling cores (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Film Tech Media Pads plastic coupling cores
Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 04:57 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Everyone,

I would like to ask if someone could help me here.
I ordered some Film-Tech Media Pads but the core are not the plastic ones but cardboard and they are not so easy to "rewind". I would like to ask if anyone would have some plastic cores that i could have. I would of course pay for shipping.

Thx VM.

PS: Brad are those cardboard core the replacement for plastic ones ?

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-20-2008 05:47 PM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like your supplier may have swindled you. I'd reject the product and demand authentic Film-Tech products. The real ones have plastic cores with the logo etched into them. Other brands have been shown to cause film damage.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-20-2008 06:08 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Your dealer substituted a cheaper product on you. They deserve to be "outed" here. We have NEVER manufactured media pads on cardboard cores.

Rene Ferron
Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 07:05 PM      Profile for Rene Ferron   Email Rene Ferron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would it be possible to get the name of a Canadian Reseller ?

Edit: Well after looking at your Product page and reading your reseller/suppliers list, i can see that the company that i bought those from is there in that list.

Before i do some bashing on this supplier i will contact them on Monday and ask for some explanation on this.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-20-2008 10:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Genuine Film-Tech media (and Film-Guard) will come in a sealed box with the Film-Tech logo. You will need to cut that seal to open the box. If you don't see the Film-Tech logo on the outside of the box, don't bother opening it.

Steve

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-21-2008 01:51 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Rene Ferron
Before i do some bashing on this supplier i will contact them on Monday and ask for some explanation on this
Yeah... then we can bash them, but good! [evil]

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 03:06 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had asked my supplier for Film-Tech media pads but got the White Kelmar ones instead. They seem to be fine.
I use the coupling cores that come with the bottle of Filmguard to wind the media onto. I have quite a collection now and it just takes a few seconds. Not sure who supplies the actual
Film-Tech ones around here.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-21-2008 04:16 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Australian supplier is:

Intech Pacific in Castle Hill, NSW.
Call Spiro on (02) 9894 4388 and he'll make sure you get the real ones. [thumbsup]

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-21-2008 10:02 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is nothing wrong with Kelmar White media.

I think the issue here is if one orders a brand-specific product, they should be delivered that product and not have it passed along as something different. It would be one thing to order Film-Tech and then be offered Kelmar so the customer still has the say in what they are purchasing. However, it is another thing to merely supply something different.

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-21-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kelmar pads scare the crap out of me. They are so friggin' dry and abrasive even after just 2 days of being saturated with Filmguard. They aren't cut straight, either.

Alan Gouger
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 10:52 AM      Profile for Alan Gouger   Author's Homepage   Email Alan Gouger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also have a bag of the kelmar White media ( came with the machine, bought 2nd hand ) I use the cardboard inner sleeve for the take up on the cleaning machine.
Ive bought nothing but FT ever sense.
Q: If you do not have the cardboard sleeve what does everyone use on the take up?

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-21-2008 11:58 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vastly prefer FT over Kelmar, but on the rare occasion when I had to use Kelmar, I found it easier to mount the pad on the cleaner and powerwind it onto a FT core. This was accomplished by taping a FT core onto some kind of attachment on a cordless drill and just winding it onto the take up core. I'll have to see if I have pictures, since that was in my old booth and I don't think I have a drill in my new one. It really saves time if you want to have the media on the coupling type core, for easy rewind and that type of stuff.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-21-2008 09:44 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like this?

Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 12:59 AM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Almost exactly like that, except I invented it, so I get the glory. That person was probably spying on me through a time machine, since I didn't invent it until about 2 weeks after that video was posted.

John Koutsoumis
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-22-2008 02:44 AM      Profile for John Koutsoumis   Email John Koutsoumis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess with the ordering it was my fault as I did not confirm whether they stock the FilmTech ones or not. I knew I was going to get the Kelmar ones and thats what I was charged for.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: