Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Brain-Wrap Detectors?

Author Topic: Brain-Wrap Detectors?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 12:27 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm looking for some type of brain-wrap detector that can shut down the projector before film damage starts occuring.
I have a mixture of both CHRISTIE and STRONG platters so I'd need to find suitable models to fit each manufacturer.

I came up empty-handed on a quick web search, but I know these things are out there. I could probably even build something.

And no, < I > don't have a problem with brain-wraps when I'm working my booths, but some of the people who fill in for me on my days off are a bit less conciencious about threading, etc.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-17-2008 12:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Neumade's is probably the best out there, as it provides a means of travel time as the projector slows to a stop, and is reasonably easy retrofitted to most platters.

The Christie wrap detector (and others) usually just rely on a roller that is spring loaded and once enough pressure happens to yank it up the shutdown occurs. This is the less desirable detector, but may be your only option if you prefer to clean your prints on the platter tree.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-17-2008 02:09 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
CHRISTIE - "Failsafe Detector" for the AW3(R) - 196270-001 w/30 ft of connecting cable.

STRONG - "Wrap Detector" for the "ALPHA" platters. - 2468153, or, 3398. Have to add your own cable to the microswitch and unit will fit into the existing swivel roller bracket.

Both units does the job extremely well.

Contact your supplier for your order.

-Monte

Dennis Udovich
Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 03:11 PM      Profile for Dennis Udovich   Author's Homepage   Email Dennis Udovich   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have all Strong platters with Strong wrap detectors.
They work great and cost just over $100 each.
That's not a big cost when you figure you may have to refund 20 to 100 or more patrons when a wrap occurs.
A bad wrap can take a long time to undo. It can pay for itself after one encounter.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-17-2008 06:00 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, do you have the part number for the wiring harness for the automation connection for the Strong units? I want to disconnect mine from the platter variac and wire them straight into the automation so that when engaged, the automation stops but the platter never loses power. No film on the floor (especially since our failsafes don't seem to work anyway).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-17-2008 09:27 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
do you have the part number for the wiring harness
unfort, I don't have that number.

I just use 18/2 zip cord and tied one end of the cord across the outside terminals of the microswitch, lace that other end of the cord through conduit, or attached to the mopboards using loop tiewraps and to go underneath, (or though the conduit heading to the console if you did the conduit lacing..) and terminated the other end of the zip cord in series with the leads from the failsafe unit.

This wiring procedure is your desired method above: is to keep the platter on while the machine has stopped thus preventing film drop on the floor.

Works like a dream.

-Monte

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2008 09:34 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Wiring harness??? You make your own... Should you be working as a tech [Wink] ? It goes either in series with the projector failsafe or across it depending on your automation...

I agree with Monte... these are adaquate wrap detectors... I've installed gobs of both types. They are reliable and very little trouble.

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-17-2008 11:02 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mark, we just don't have the wire in the booth and I don't feel like buying extra wire on my spare time. I saw something about an "external wiring harness" in the Strong literature. The automation has a terminal specifically for it.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-18-2008 09:59 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Send one of the ass managers or an usher to Rat Shack for it...

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-18-2008 05:13 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That would be a great way to end up with 100' of speaker wire!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-18-2008 05:55 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've always thought that wrap detectors are a bit like having a "man-overboard alarm;" perhaps we would be better off with higher railings.

This, guys, is the wrong way to solve a problem. Unfortunately it's all we have unless development money is spent on FILM. Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-18-2008 05:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or, head to "Lowes" or "Dungeon Depot" and buy a spool of 18/2 zipcord wire...

..cheaper than RatShack any day of the week...

but, if your anal on using speaker wire, one can use 22g bell wire ... does the same trick.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-18-2008 06:04 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh hell yeah it is. Managers would still likely buy speaker wire, though. [Smile]

Louis, when your booth is run by people who refuse to be trained out of their old habits 10 shifts out of 14 a week, these things can come in handier than a bunch of film on the floor.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-18-2008 08:13 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..or booths that the location monkeys refuse to monitor since they're main job and main criteria is on the floor...

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: