Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Repairing Jackshaft Christie P35c Shutter Gearbox (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Repairing Jackshaft Christie P35c Shutter Gearbox
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2008 05:10 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For those that do machining, is it possible to fill in a groove cut into the outer end of the jackshaft on a P35c shutter gearbox? The groove in caused by the shaft slipping in the outer support bearing over time. I already checked with Christie on getting a replacement jackshaft but they don't carry this part any longer.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-14-2008 07:12 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually that must be a really old jackshaft. Most of the JS's I've seen and repaired have an expandable spring steel thingy on the shaft at each end that causes the shaft to self center in the bearing bore. You sure you're not missing one of these springy things? The shutter driver has these too. If your shaft is really torn up replaccement is the only sure route... I don't think that shaft is all that expensive.

Mark

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-15-2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you pulled the old jackshaft and took it to any competent machinist, they could probably make another for you at a reasonable cost. Have them make a few spares too as it is the setup for the first one that costs the most money.. [Smile]

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2008 11:20 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark,

The shaft I have is the one pictured on page 85 of the P35c manual in the manuals section. Its part #38.

Hey Tony,

I'll be checking into that as well.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-16-2008 06:28 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Jeremy,

Was not in the shop today... was out setting up a demo M Christie projector. I still think the spring equalizer on that end of the shaft is mmissing... I don't think the whole P-35 jackshaft assy. is all that expsnsive... the new ones are much nicer too.

Mark

Randy Bowden
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 12:05 PM      Profile for Randy Bowden   Email Randy Bowden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Based on your initial post description here and your reference to the P35C projector. I would guess that what you have is not really a jackshaft at all, but the shutter gearbox assy? It's quite common for the main drive shaft to wear a groove on the outer end as you mentioned. There really is nothing you can do about fixing it other than replacing the entire assy'or having someone fab up a replacement. Christie does not sell the parts for these, only the complete assy. If you do have an actual jackshaft, as used the current production GPS machine, I would highly recommend you just replace the entire assy. The new version has larger bearings, and should last a long time.

David Zylstra
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 12:20 PM      Profile for David Zylstra   Email David Zylstra   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I concur with both Mark and Randy - if the budget allows replace the entire assembly. I was recently faced with the decision to rebuild an old assembly or replace it with the new version - cost of all the replacement parts needed (from Christie) totalled out slightly less than replacing the entire assembly. After receiving the new assembly it was obviously a good choice since it was definitely an improvement over the old one (larger bearings); if I had opted for chasing down replacement parts locally I definitely would have spent more in time and gas (or shipping) than any savings over the full replacement.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Randy,

You are correct that it is the shutter gear box assembly. I got the "jackshaft" term from the exploded parts description in that P35c manual. I will probably just go ahead replace the gear box with their new version.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-17-2008 09:25 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,
Even the new shutter gearbox has been improved quite a bit. It's going to be the cheaper route to go... making a shaft is impractical unless you can find a home machinist with nothing to do...

Mark

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-17-2008 11:55 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, I'll be giving Jim Graten a call tomorrow for the part#(s) to replace these worn gear boxes and hopefully I'll remember to ask about that alignment tool.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2008 06:46 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, I'm a little confused. I spoke with Jim Graton and he said there is no replacement in any form (rebuild or upgrade) for these shutter gear boxes (P35c) available any longer. He suggested trying to find someone who rebuilds them. He did provide the name of a company in Florida to try, but he wasn't sure if this is an item that even they rebuild.

David Graham Rose
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-19-2008 01:00 PM      Profile for David Graham Rose   Email David Graham Rose   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Greetings

Far easier to remove the offending Christie projector, with all it's weaknesses, anmd install a Kinoton surely?

David

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-19-2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, Now it's clear... you have the shutter gearbox... not the shutter driver assembly, two very different parts. I am pretty sure that Christie still has brand new gearboxes available for the 35C... I do know they are expensive though!!! I have a couple of good used ones in pulled projectors if that'd help....? I can't vouch for the condition of them except that they go round and round. Call me if you want one.

Mark @ CLACO
801-355-1250

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 12:11 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey Mark,

Well it turns out that our off-duty security officer has a friend that is a machinist, so he's going to see if he can fabricate the shaft.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 04:10 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Randy or Mark,

Do you know the rotational speed of both shafts? I'm looking to replace both seals and need to be sure that I get replacements that are rated appropriately. Or if you have a preferred replacement that you would recommend.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: