Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DP75 Manual.

Author Topic: DP75 Manual.
Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2008 08:47 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone got a pdf of the manual for Kinoton DP75 projector they can send me. Lost my copy and need it this week.

Regards Ken.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-14-2008 10:34 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken....out of curiosity, what vintage DP75(s) are you dealing with?

Steve

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2008 11:52 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

not too sure until I get there.....

Basically I have to remove one of two projectors and I want to make sure there are no dependencies I have to be aware of.

Sorry I can't give any more info.

Regards.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-14-2008 02:30 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wait a minute...remove one of two projectors? I won't be a party to a divorce!

There are really three versions of the unit that I'm aware of...the Norelco version that had a separate control box, the Kinoton version that had a control box on the front of the projector (with the dowser and motor functions on a remote), and the last incarnation, the "D" version.

Mechanically, they are all quite similar with the motor and belting (or direct coupling) being the primary differences.

Steve

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-14-2008 05:29 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Hmmmmmmm, a platter going in there by any chance?

Stephen Furley
Film God

- posted 09-15-2008 02:34 AM      Profile for Stephen Furley   Email Stephen Furley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Or they already have some sort of long run, but also a second machine which they are removing to make room for a digital?

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2008 09:53 AM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

Brad has posted the DP75 Manual..........it must have been delayed in posting some how a while ago.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2008 10:02 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Steve,

This must be a later version as there is no external control box, just the internal wiring which is a mess!

I have decommissioned the no 2 projector this morning and removed all surplus wiring. With the exception of the change over shutter all is well. The shutter opens automatically when you start the projector but will not respond to the control buttons. This was the dependency I was most concerned about.

I seem to recall that a link has to be inserted for single projector operation but it's been a long time since I last did any work on a DP75.

Brad & Steven,

The site already has a Kinoton 70mm platter and was also a change-over show. The no 2 projector, with another Kinoton platter, is being removed to re install in a new projection room in the original stalls area, with a new screen in the circle using the original projection room.

Hope someone can help with the shutter issue.

Regards.

Steve Guttag

- posted 09-15-2008 10:59 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken,

As you may know...Kinoton machines tend to vary based on needs so not all schematics are the same.

Of interest in your situation are 50, 52A, 52B, C1 and C2. (presumming all are present on your machine). C1/C2 tend to live in the lower left and are part of the changeover terminal block).

Also of interest are 105, 106 and 106Y.

Traditionally, Kinoton/Norelco has used the 105, 106(x), 106Y team to perform changeovers. They can also be merely redundant dry-contacts (handy for Dolby Changeovers). Thus the 50 (common) and the 52A/52B team combined with C1, C2 are used to set up the changeover circuit. C1/C2 link 52A/52B of the other machine...thus if you connect 52A to 52B, it should function as a single machine as far as the changeover is concerned. Proceed at your own risk.

Steve

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2008 04:43 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Ken McFall
The site already has a Kinoton 70mm platter and was also a change-over show. The no 2 projector, with another Kinoton platter, is being removed to re install in a new projection room in the original stalls area, with a new screen in the circle using the original projection room.
I guess that will be the Prince Charles Cinema in London?, shame they are going to chop it into two screens.

It's been some years since they had ran 70mm there.

Stan Gunn
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-15-2008 08:02 PM      Profile for Stan Gunn   Author's Homepage   Email Stan Gunn   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
try bridgeing out the film speed microswitch in the rear of the machine, as itis in the shutter circuit.

Stan

David Boyd
Film Handler

- posted 09-23-2008 11:26 AM      Profile for David Boyd   Email David Boyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ken

I have some drawings I can send you and it's pretty fresh in my mind too if you are having any difficulty - might save you scratching your head there.

Regards,

David.

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2008 04:07 AM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,

that would be appreciated if you can. Projector is running fine as it is but I will need to correct the issue when I install the second projector in the new projection room.

Just to clarify the problem. Since the two projectors were divorced the change over shutter now operates with the motor control only, opens when you start and closes when you stop. The usual controls do nothing.

Regards.

David Boyd
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2008 04:22 AM      Profile for David Boyd   Email David Boyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Ken

OK will get you a drawing. If you can have a butcher's on the rear of the machine under the lamphouse table and get the serial numbers that will help: electrically there are two mods depending on vintage, one to do with the shutter capacitors and the other a resistor in the shutter circuit. One thing I'd do is put a link across 61 and 61A which will cancel out the motion roller which can be a menace - it can always be wired through an acop or other means substituted.

Cheers,

David.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: