Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Glass reflector used in STRONG Ultra-80 7K lamphouse?

Author Topic: Glass reflector used in STRONG Ultra-80 7K lamphouse?
Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2008 07:50 AM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am looking for information on the glass reflector used in this large capacity lamphouse.

Can anyone identify the manufacurer, source, or any information needed to source this?

|  IP: Logged

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-11-2008 02:09 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried Strong? [Big Grin] Or Ballenswine (Ballentyne) as they are currently known as?

But be ready to either pay big bucks, or if you're told who the OEM was, be told you can't buy it direct. [thumbsdown]

A lot of metal reflectors are made by Optiform, you might Google them and give them a shout.

The current sync motors on Simplex are made by Leeson, but Leeson won't sell them direct. (And I found out from Leeson that the stock number on the motor doesn't even cross reference to Ballentyne, it is another manufacturer altogether and it was originally spec'd for the oil pump of a deep-fat fryer. [Eek!] )

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2008 02:14 PM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I contacted them, they had no knowlege of it, or a part number. The only mirrior I can think of that is close is the glass 15" mirror Kinoton uses, but I am unable to get the F1 & F2 of either glass mirror.

Sooooo................,

I have posted here to see if any of you knowlegable folks have run accross this.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-11-2008 02:21 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not too surprised that they didn't know..seems to be common with them anymore...

I have thought of another possible maker..Precision Optics...and it is possible that Optiform may have already made a metal reflector for your lamp.

Try to PM Mark G at CLACO, he seems to know where to find almost anything...he may even have one laying around....

Hope this helps...

Can you get one of those Kinoton mirrors easily enough, maybe "on loan"? If so, I'd go ahead and try it to see if it works.

Mike Babb
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-11-2008 03:16 PM      Profile for Mike Babb   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Babb   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possibly retrofitted with a Technalight kit?

http://technalight.com/english.html

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-11-2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ballanswine.. hadn't heard that one. I always thought Wrong International was pretty fitting.

Anyway we definately don't have anything like that at CLACO. If it were Christie we'd definately have it laying around though. I do however reccomend the Technalite conversion kit. With the insideous price increases at Ballanswine these days the TL conversion kit might actually cost you less... it will definately give you a ton more light! There is a 6 screen D.I. here in SLC that has them on all 6 screens and they have better images than many indoor theaters have.

Where is Heir Guttag... he may know bout that Glass Reflector...

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-11-2008 06:01 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Standard Strong is, of course, metal (probably Optiform) The only glass reflectors I know of are Technilite, Big Sky and Kinoton. They may be the same or nearly so. Louis

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-11-2008 07:23 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nein...do not distrupt the purity of das German reflektor with your silly American lampenhouse.

The Strong reflector the for X-60 that was glass was part number 4271 (Spec 271) and was used up through the X60-C incranation of the lamphouse (and I think the igniter was 220V too). Starting with the X60D, Highlight...etc it was was a potted metal reflector. I believe by the time the Ultra-80 came along that they went to the current flanged metal reflector that can be retrofitted to most any of the prior models listed with a suitable kit.

I was unaware of anyone making a drop-in replacement for the Strong metal reflector. The Technolite solution is more than just the reflector but an entire lighting retrofit as well.

I believe Kinoton used to sell the guts of their lamphouse for retrofit into one of their older lamphouses. One could certainly put that into another housing. As for just the reflector, it probably would not require the highest degree of mechanical aptitude to kludge a reflector into a different lamphouse. As for the working distance...use the numbers that original manufacturer (of the reflector) used in their lamphouse...the working distance is the working distance.

Steve

Dan Reiter
Film Handler

- posted 09-12-2008 07:18 AM      Profile for Dan Reiter   Email Dan Reiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to the technalight website, but it just seems a media dazzle display.

In my years at BIG SKY engineering the glass reflector lamphouses, I found that the Kinoton mirrorhad almost identical specs to the Strong/Christie/Neumade/Bigsky
large mirror, which are all pretty much the same optically anyway. The Ernemann mirror isamid-point between the small and large mirrors, but had great optical characteristics for large-screen and long throw applications.

Does anyone here have some hard data and a picture for this application using the Technalight system?

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-12-2008 08:44 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dan,

I would highly reccomend that you call and talk to Robert at Technilite and he can fill you in on it in more detail, he is the designer of the system. Many, many of his kits have been installed... quite a few in Imax theaters 35/70mm projectors. and no, its not the Kinoton mirror. You could also speak to Bob Destolphi at Ultra Flat. He could in a several hour long conversation tell you all about it and how well it works.

Mark

Mark

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-12-2008 07:40 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Balzar used to make the Kinoton and Ernamann reflectors
Meopta also makes excellent reflectors

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 09-12-2008 08:09 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kinoton offers two types of glass reflectors currently...Balzers and what they refer to as "OEM". The OEM is substantially less expensive.

Steve

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 09-12-2008 08:09 PM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Weule reflectors of Germany is another source. A foriegn manufacturer has had good results using the 365mm Chinese glass dichoric reflector in Ultra-80 situations.

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-11-2010 05:56 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 728 days since the last post.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-11-2010 05:56 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
UPDATE on an old post:

Seeing 19fL on a 35ft matte white screen with a 106 ft throw emitting from a Highlight having a Technalight, 7.5inch reflector and an OSRAM 3k HS bulb at 90amps through an XL is pretty amazing to witness in itself.

site

Hmm..wonder if this retrofit kit can be made for a XENEX 1 lamphouse - instead of going bigger bulb, but go for more of a effective reflective power.

..sadly, digital is going to eliminate all of this fun. - Monte

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: