Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Using the Christie Alignment Tool

Author Topic: Using the Christie Alignment Tool
Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2008 05:36 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does anyone know how to properly use this to align the inner rail on the trap & gate? I know how to use it for the lateral guides on both the soundhead and trap & gate.

|  IP: Logged

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-07-2008 09:11 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Jeremy,
This is one use of the gauge that I too have been questioning... and all times I've spoken to Jim Graton I forget to ask him... The alignment of the inner rail is not all that critical anyway and you can't be too far off no matter what because the diameter of the holes vs. the OD of the screws only allows a little movement of the rail... and you want a tiny bit of slop in the aperature carrier when positioning the outer rail anyway so the aperature is free to move up and down after it heats up and expands! I have to work on a trap assy tommrrow so I'll see if I can figure it out... or I'll call Jim and get back here later in the day.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ya, I keep forgetting to ask him too. I've been going through and bringing the traps back into factory alignment, since I've dismantled these several times over the years to do thorough cleaning and didn't know there was an alignment tool all this time.

Till now I've just been placing that inner rail all the way back against the main block and then giving just enough play on the outer rail so that the aperture jogger glides freely with very little lateral movement as possible. I realize that if I use the tool I may have to either cut new plates or trim the current ones to compensate for the shift. Let me know what you find out.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-08-2008 02:57 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What I remember on this alignment tool is to get the lateral rollers in align first then the bands comes into play for alignment since the rollers, esp the inside roller flange is the spring side that has to just come to edge with the inner band..

Sad thing is that I have that tool, but no CHR trap and gate assembly to try it on so I can take picts on the whole procedure.

Maybe Mr. Brad Miller could, per chance, chime in on this one as a help for the lot of us on these alignment procedures.

-Monte

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-20-2008 12:14 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spoke with Jim Graton today and I will be posting pics on how to use this tool.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-20-2008 01:36 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not difficult to use, but most people I've run across that use it don't realize how critical the setting is because it can completely screw up your aperture plates and lens/turret alignment. Also depending on how far toward the lamp (assuming the assembly is mounted) you place the alignment tool can noticeably affect the lateral position, so you really have to have not only the tool, but a good eye and some patience. Most people also seem to leave too much slop in the side to side. You really do need to find that exact point where the roller spins, but doesn't spin totally freely and then just barely loosen it until it does and lock it at that point. I see people finding that position and then giving the allen wrench a good half turn, which is way too much.

I don't have a Christie trap or my alignment tool handy or I would take some pictures, but if Jeremy has pictures from Jim that should do the trick.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: