Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Kelmar cleaner on horizontal rewind bench

Author Topic: Kelmar cleaner on horizontal rewind bench
Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-07-2008 02:01 PM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just invested in a Kelmar cleaner (Filmguard and Film tech media on order) for our projection room. Since we are a changeover house we will be mounting the cleaner on the rewind bench and using it during rewind.

Our bench is a horizontal one (flat-bed) with the reels lying flat on motorised plates. Do you anticipate any problems in using the cleaner/media in this orientation?

I am slightly concerned that the Filmguard (assisted by gravity) may tend to saturate the 'lower' part of the media more than the 'top', thus coating the film unevenly. I am hoping that capilliary reaction will help even things up!

Also, our bench has a fairly limited speed adjustment (based more on variable torque than actual speed). I am worried that the film speed may be too high for safety!

Any feedback much appreciated!

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-07-2008 02:50 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Can you mount the cleaner up on the wall 2-3 feet above and just use rollers to drive it in and out of the film path? For example, you could mount the cleaner on the wall with the input and output rollers pointing down and the face of the cleaner towards you, then by using only 2 rollers with pivot mounts, you could have the film do a half twist off of the reel onto the roller (the roller pivoting as the reel diameter changes), go up into the cleaner, out of the cleaner down to the other pivoting roller and back onto the other reel.

Having the cleaner on its side will definitely cause the FilmGuard to migrate towards the floor on the pads.

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-07-2008 10:46 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you make a hinged mounting bracket for the cleaner which holds it flat against the bench for use during rewind but which can be flipped up, vertical?

The idea has three benefits:

1) It makes it easier to work on the cleaner. You can mount and dismount it easier. You can install the media rolls easier and you can apply the FG easier.

2) It can be flipped up, out of the way when you don't want to use it and you won't have to dismount the thing all the time.

3) When you are not using it, in between reels, you can flip it up so the FG doesn't run down to the bottom.

I don't know... Just a thought.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-08-2008 08:52 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the ideas guys!

I like the idea of wall-mounting the unit and feeding it via rollers - helps keep it out of the way during normal use too!

I'll wait until the cleaner arrives later this week and then start experimenting with the brackets and rollers.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: