Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DP70 trouble

Author Topic: DP70 trouble
David Boyd
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2008 04:07 AM      Profile for David Boyd   Email David Boyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have two DP70s and one has a bad ghosting all through the picture which doesn't seem to respond to any retiming. Has anyone encountered this before and have any ideas on how to improve it?

|  IP: Logged

Gerard Bierling
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2008 06:44 AM      Profile for Gerard Bierling   Email Gerard Bierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You probably have a worn out part nr. 13.
In that case there is to much spell between the main shaft and the intermittent and therefore also between the shuttershaft and the intermittent

-

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2008 07:11 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did this ghosting just appear one day or appear over time? Also are these machines new to you or have you had them for a while?

Thanks!
Mark

Gerard Bierling
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2008 10:03 AM      Profile for Gerard Bierling   Email Gerard Bierling   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are right Mark, I was to quick.

Gerard

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-04-2008 10:43 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You may also be correct though. I have never seen this happen unless there is either serious gear wear or a failed gear.
Edit: Or a hole burn't into the shutter blade...
Mark

[ 09-04-2008, 01:32 PM: Message edited by: Mark Gulbrandsen ]

David Boyd
Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2008 11:45 AM      Profile for David Boyd   Email David Boyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for both replies. I am new to these particular machines but they are late '50s vintage and were not new when installed here in 1982. It has happened over time, not a sudden development, so the worn gear must be the culprit. We have some spares around the place which were rescued from another pair of DP70s some years ago so I'll try swapping some bits around and see if it goes away. Sounds the most plausible explanation, and I greatly appreciate the feedback. Cheers.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2008 03:12 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Gerard Bierling
You probably have a worn out part nr. 13.
That sounds the Fibre (Novatex) Gear is worn, they were quite common part to change I belive and should be still available from Kinoton.

I had seen those DP70's some years ago and were in good condition, I think they were made in the early 1960's.

David Boyd
Film Handler

- posted 09-05-2008 08:00 AM      Profile for David Boyd   Email David Boyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks again for everyone's suggestions. I understand the gear was renewed a few years ago but once I have a chance I'll have a good look at it. Presently we are rewiring the machines from scratch as they have years of horrid old wiring and add-ons inside. Actually they don't because they've both been gutted this week, one completed and the other just about done. Main benefit apart from the obvious is rewinding the motors to three phase and with an inverter having the capability of changing the speed easily, with no more taking off motors and mucking about with pulleys etc. Last year we upgraded the optics with BACP readers which are great: two DP70s and two DP75s done for the price of a single Kinoton reader!

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 09-05-2008 10:35 AM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Check the shutter itself I have seen some machines where a idiot opened the gate while machine was coasting to a stop and put a nick in it that created ghosting

David Boyd
Film Handler

- posted 09-24-2008 04:25 AM      Profile for David Boyd   Email David Boyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Gordon. It's OK so it's the gear train I guess. One other thing we have trouble with: the #2 machine c/o shutter is rather lazy dropping down. I remember this happened on the DP70s in the Playhouse Edinburgh many years ago. DP75s have a spring on them, presumably as this problem is commonplace. Any ideas, short of installing a spring?

Cheers,

David.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: