Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Is there a suitable substitute for Film-Guard I could use in a pinch?

Author Topic: Is there a suitable substitute for Film-Guard I could use in a pinch?
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 12:11 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In the last few months I've started running Film-Guard on every print we receive - usually the first screening, but always the first day. As a result I'm going through far more of the stuff than I ever have. I'm just wondering if there is a suitable substitute I could use if I ran out? I once heard baby oil, but I've never actually used it.

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-02-2008 01:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Nope, there is nothing on the market that will do what FilmGuard does. You can purchase a fast evaporating type of cleaner, but the result won't be the same.

Baby oil??? I guess if you don't mind ruining your print. [Roll Eyes]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 02:23 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've done a lot of "science experiments" on film taken from old trailers and stuff like that.

I have discovered that, for all people say about film being easily damaged, it is amazingly resistant to all sorts of damage from chemicals.

I have soaked pieces of film in water, alcohol, ammonia and oil. I have even tried things like Windex, Forumla 409 and even WD-40.

You really wouldn't believe what you can put film through and still be able to clean it up and run it!

I tried soaking film in various liquids/solutions for varying times. In my experiments, as long as the exposure time was short (a minute or two) and you cleaned the film carefully then let it dry before spooling it up and running it, you could get away with it, suffering only minor effects.

What it all comes down to is two things:

1) If some liquid gets on your film, clean it off as soon as you can.

2) Avoid oils! The surface/emultion won't seem to have any damage when you look at it but, unless you remove it right away, you will make the dyes in the image run and smear.

If you want to find a substitute for FilmGuard, my advice is to go buy yourself a mass spectrometer. [Wink]

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 02:40 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
Baby oil??? I guess if you don't mind ruining your print.
Like I said, it was something I heard at one point in time. I have never actually tried it myself.

Just to be clear, I'm looking for a short term solution, not a replacement.

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 02:43 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're using more... just set a minimum number of bottles you will have at all times. When you get near that number or to it, order more.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2008 03:32 PM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me... Film Guard has a slight "Gun Oil" smell to it. I don't know what's in it, but I know Film Guard works.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 09-02-2008 06:59 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bullets fly further and do more damage when Filmguard is applied. For best results, soak your gun (and ammo) in a bucket of Filmguard overnight before your planned murder spree.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 07:37 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not a recommended treatment, but a now retired projectionist I know used to swear by mayonnaise thinly applied to fill in small scratches and scuffs, works on the same principle as the oily coating left by Filmguard. He says the mayo is cheaper than FG and can be used on sandwiches too. The acidic content of the mayo will probably play hell with emulsion.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 07:48 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like mayonaise. I use Ketchup on all my prints.

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 08:20 PM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about lard? Oily, organic, cheap, probably won't damage film.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-02-2008 08:43 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
You can purchase a fast evaporating type of cleaner, but the result won't be the same.

Yep! And for some you achieve a desired side effect... just don't drive afterwords!

Mark

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 10:04 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
just don't drive afterwords!

I always wait at least an hour before I drive if I've just spoken. [Wink]

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 09-02-2008 10:09 PM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Joe Redifer
For best results, soak your gun (and ammo) in a bucket of Filmguard overnight...
Nope! Won't work! FilmGuard can gum up if it gets cold enough.

You wouldn't want to be looking through your scope at a 12 point buck on a cold November morning when your gun misfires because the action is all gummed up!

Or worse! There's an industrial sized bad guy coming through your back door and you need to give him a dose of lead but you rack your slide and it s-l-o-w-l-y glides back into place as it barely has enough force to chamber the first round.

You'll wish you hadn't used anything but genuine gun oil!

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 09-03-2008 09:50 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a theater once many years ago that had a really noisy/sticky print(new print). Got a can of Liquid Wrench and applied it to the edges of the film with a rag and the noise ceased and the image was then very steady.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-03-2008 10:42 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a theatre, equipped with XL's, which ordered Century FD-120 from time to time. He put one drop on the top of the gate when running "green" prints. Worked, too!

We are NEVER out of Film Guard. UPS 1 day is HQed in Louisville, therefore YOU should never be OUT either! Louis

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: