Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Odd effect as projector starts up (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Odd effect as projector starts up
Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2008 03:29 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went to see Babylon AD in a different cinema to the one I usually go to, and saw something strange as the projector started up. It looked like multiple 'diamonds' of light, a bit like what you get when shining a light through a cut gemstone. This happened after the projectionist hit start, but before the first image hit the screen - i.e. only for a split second.

Anyone have any idea what caused this? Whatever it was, it didn't interfere with the movie itself. The projector was badly out of alignment and had no flat aperture plate for the adverts/trailers, but that's another story. [Wink]

|  IP: Logged

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 09-01-2008 04:36 PM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure it was from the projector? Could it have been a reflection off something else and only a coincidence that it happened when the projector started? Of if it was from the projector or booth, it might be something very simple like the glass door on the projector reflecting lamphouse light just as he closed it.

We discovered something similar where if a car drove by at a certain time in the afternoon, sunlight would be reflected off some metal or glass on the car and a very small speck of light would seep thru a door crack and move across part of the screen.

Just a thought.

Hugh McCullough
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2008 05:31 PM      Profile for Hugh McCullough   Author's Homepage   Email Hugh McCullough   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This could be a digital projector fault.
It used to happen on our NEC 800C projector about every ten or twelve shows.
We got a very slight flash of the three primary colours just before the dowser opened.
It did not seem to matter if you placed black before or after the dowser opening.
As it was an intermittent fault, and would not manifest itself when the engineer was present, it was decided to leave it, and after a few months it appeared to have cured itself, we hope.

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-01-2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I doubt it was a digital projector issue; this cinema doesn't even HAVE a digital projector [Razz]
It was a Simplex Millennium with Christie lamphouse, I think.

I think Frank's theory about the glass door reflecting light seems the most probable. It's a multiplex, and there are no windows to the outside in the booth as far as I can see. It could well have been the 'strips' of light from a lamphouse vent, being distorted and focused by the glass door, and reflecting onto the screen briefly.

[ 09-02-2008, 11:43 AM: Message edited by: Thomas Pitt ]

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 09-01-2008 09:12 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What projector? Some light MAY reflect just before the changeover opens (Simplex) Louis

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-01-2008 11:58 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
deleted

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2008 04:20 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps it was a Kinoton E series projector. What the Kinoton do they ramp the speed up and then intermittent sprocket engages standard maltese movement.
Demetris

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-02-2008 07:39 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of interest, which cinema was this at?

Thomas Pitt
Master Film Handler

- posted 09-04-2008 03:45 PM      Profile for Thomas Pitt   Email Thomas Pitt   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It was the Sheffield VUE (Meadowhall), screen 11 - one of their largest auditoriums. AFAIK all screens there use Simplex Millennium projectors with Christie lamphouses.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 09-04-2008 06:33 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did that Christie burn a pinhole through the dowser plate - which is common for a Simplex since their dowser plates arent that all grand and when you got a big lamp behind it?

Another common fality with these things is that you get light leak around the dowser (being shaft pulled) if the dowser isn't sitting down all the way on it's stop block.

Elizabeth Betty Gross
Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2008 01:01 PM      Profile for Elizabeth Betty Gross   Email Elizabeth Betty Gross   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed "dots" in a diamond pattern on a print just yesterday, which lasted for maybe one frame. Is it possible we were seeing encoded information added by the distributer to trace street copies?

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 09-26-2008 01:47 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Elizabeth Betty Gross
I noticed "dots" in a diamond pattern on a print just yesterday, which lasted for maybe one frame. Is it possible we were seeing encoded information added by the distributer to trace street copies?

Yes indeed, you noticed the dreaded "CRAP" code, used by the MPAA and studios to supposedly stop piracy.

A search of CRAP code or CAP Code (it's real name) on here will show a number of threads and posts.

Michael Brown
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-26-2008 03:35 PM      Profile for Michael Brown   Email Michael Brown   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Thomas Pitt
and saw something strange as the projector started up. It looked like multiple 'diamonds' of light, a bit like what you get when shining a light through a cut gemstone. This happened after the projectionist hit start, but before the first image hit the screen...
Could this be something as simple as the turret being open and the projectionist happened to be by the machine as it started and closed the turret when they realised it was open.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 09-26-2008 07:27 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Vue bought from Warner Village in UK and Warner Village uses Cinemeccanica V5 and V8.

Some "shine of light" is seen if some light spills from the lamphouse during lens change.

I had something similar when, with my V5, I forgot to replace a screw on the projector's cone. The light was coming out from the screw's hole and display a slight and curious effect on the screen at lens' change, but just slightly and just for a moment.
A friend of mine called it "Blades of light"! [Smile]

Marco

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 04-27-2010 09:22 PM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 578 days since the last post.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: