Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP500 issue

Author Topic: CP500 issue
Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am stumped. I tried running a film on projector two in a dual projector booth today and couldn't get any analog sound. This machine has a Kelmar reader, both the preamp and the LED lights were on, on the power supply, and the CP 500 did changeover to proctor two. I inspected all the wiring, as I haven't run that projector in six weeks. Projector one was just fine.

I would suspect the preamp, but while the film was running, I started to set dolby level and the film sound came on briefly. Because of that, I assume that if I thread dolby tone that I can set that, but still no analog sound in any format.

Thoughts?

|  IP: Logged

Jeremy M Smith
Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2008 08:27 PM      Profile for Jeremy M Smith   Email Jeremy M Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have you tried pressing the bypass button to see if that makes a difference

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2008 08:39 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I tried bypass and turning the processor off and on. None of that helped.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-21-2008 10:04 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like that changeover mechanism from Proj. No.2 isn't pulsing the processor over to receive that signal from No.2's soundhead.

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2008 10:13 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte, the light on the preamp for projector two does light and the screen display indicates P2.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-21-2008 10:43 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try this one then: power down the 500, pull the preamp card and reinsert it in its slot. Sometimes the contacts in the card gets a 'set in' and by removing the card then reinserting it clears up this problem.

Do you have another preamp card to do a swap?

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2008 11:02 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte,

I'll try that tomorrow. I don't have another preamp card to check. What confused me more was that you can set dolby level. The processor acknowledges the projector is there for that function...

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-21-2008 11:13 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it is a CP500 with dsub inputs...have you tried swapping the inputs so P2 feeds P1's preamp and vice-versa. This would quickly locate the source of the problem (soundhead reader or Dolby issue).

Steve

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-21-2008 11:28 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I thought that since the reader works for setting dolby level that meant the issue was with the processor, I just don't know where. I'm having trouble with the fact that you can set dolby level with a machine, but not run a film in analog. What's the difference? Aren't they both running film through the same sound head?

Marin Zorica
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2008 01:21 AM      Profile for Marin Zorica   Email Marin Zorica   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You said you can set dolby level on that PRO2?? Does level light on 222SR/A are burning or?? Probably something with audio chain from preamp to A/D conv. Because if you can set level, than preamp is working.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-22-2008 01:47 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Its a CP500. Reboot it. There's better than a 90% chance it will be fine after rebooting it.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-22-2008 12:11 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Swap (temporarily) the Kelmar power supplies. I think you will find the PRE PREAMP power is intermittent. Louis

Travis Cape
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-22-2008 07:58 PM      Profile for Travis Cape   Email Travis Cape   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found my problem. I must have not reset dolby level on that projector last month when I had swapped LED power supplies. I set level today and all is well.

Louis, you yourself know all I've done with that theatre in the past month.

Thanks guys

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: