Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » V5 upper constant speed sprocket assembly stuck

Author Topic: V5 upper constant speed sprocket assembly stuck
Galen Murphy-Fahlgren
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Email Galen Murphy-Fahlgren   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A couple weeks ago, one of my beloved V5s developed a faint noise different from any of the faint noises of proper (or at least typical) operation, which I traced to the upper constant speed sprocket assembly. My V5 manual is the single most cryptic thing I have ever seen (and I briefly studied ancient Greek in college), so I am reverse engineering the replacement process from the spare V5 I am jacking the assembly from. However, I can't seem to get the drive wheels off the shaft on the projector I'm trying to repair. I sprayed some penetrating lubricant on it and had a go at it with a pry bar, and it won't come! I had no problem removing the assembly from my spare, but getting it off the installed projector is madness. Short of replacing the installed projector with the spare, I can't think of how to fix it. I suppose a die grinder would do the trick, but I've asked for one a dozen times, and still don't have it. Anyone ever experience this before?

|  IP: Logged

Al Biers
Film Handler

- posted 08-17-2008 07:53 PM      Profile for Al Biers   Email Al Biers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The drive pulleys if stuck should be pulled with a gear puller. They generally slide right off with out a great deal of problems, remember don't lose the key that is on the shaft.

Danial Simmonds
Expert Film Handler

- posted 09-30-2008 07:15 AM      Profile for Danial Simmonds   Author's Homepage   Email Danial Simmonds   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can afford a ticket here, ill show you how... we have tons of Vic 5's that have been working for over 15 years..

To remove the upper constant sprocket assembly (with the shaft etc) is a bit tricky.

First remove the sprocket, if its jammed spray some WD40 it always work :-)..

you have to open the back of the projector and remove the pulleys too.. there should be 2 one for the motor drive belt and another for the inner belt, this should be easy to come off but the tightening nut will need a hard push.

Once thats off, remove the e-rings. Spray some lubricant that can help to loosen the shaft with the bearings and slowly knock out using a plastic hammer.

Regards
Dan

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: