Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » 16mm problems

Author Topic: 16mm problems
Kirk Sayers
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2008 11:40 AM      Profile for Kirk Sayers   Email Kirk Sayers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i have a ELMO LX 2200 16mm projector that has not been run let alone used in at least 8 years. the problem is that the film loop around the solar cell grows until it rubs the output sprocket or bulges out the front end. the gears are all interconnected and run on the same belt so should run at the same speed right? is it a bearing? any ideas??

|  IP: Logged

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-12-2008 01:23 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like your scanner drum isn't turning too well, or even seized causing the backlash of the film.

Paul Gordon
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2008 01:52 PM      Profile for Paul Gordon   Author's Homepage   Email Paul Gordon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Fun times Kirk its lucky they didn't ask you to get the 70mm going their to... we have a 16mm at SAW that works [Smile]

Kirk Sayers
Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2008 02:17 PM      Profile for Kirk Sayers   Email Kirk Sayers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yeah, it's funny how i'm intimidated by 16mm but not 35mm or imax. guess it's because of a lack of experience with them, who the hell uses them except that damned IFCO.

Ben Wales
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2008 03:51 PM      Profile for Ben Wales   Email Ben Wales   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kirk Sayers
the gears are all interconnected and run on the same belt so should run at the same speed right? is it a bearing? any ideas??
If it is not the Sound Drum Bearing as mentioned also check out the Drive Belt is not jumping a Gear or perhaps the Belt has become distorted if it has not been used for some time.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-12-2008 07:29 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is just one drive belt and it connects the motor to the shutter...which in turn drives the rest.

However, look at all of those pretty white gears in the back...I'll wager that you have a cracked one or even two...it isn't that uncommon on an Elmo LX1100 or LX-2200.

Steve

Kirk Sayers
Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2008 12:02 PM      Profile for Kirk Sayers   Email Kirk Sayers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
you are right steve. the output sprocket (of course the one at the back and hardest to get to)has a fissure, it's cracked all the way to the collar, every rotation it skipped a tooth width increasing the sound loop. anyone know where to get spares?

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 08-14-2008 08:32 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Elmo still has them, last I checked.

Steve

System Notices
Forum Watchdog / Soup Nazi

- posted 09-14-2015 03:07 AM      Profile for System Notices         Edit/Delete Post 

It has been 2586 days since the last post.

Gustav Viem
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2015 03:07 AM      Profile for Gustav Viem   Email Gustav Viem   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just found this old post for exactly the same problem I have on Elmo LX2200, cracked plastic on the upper gear. I tried to contact Elmo for spare parts, but they say its not longer available.
Anyone know where to get parts?

Gustav

Mitchell Dvoskin
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2015 08:28 AM      Profile for Mitchell Dvoskin   Email Mitchell Dvoskin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try:

RC's Parts & Service

This guy ran a former Elmo Authorized Service Center.

Or:

16mmfilmtalk

I forum for 16mm movie collectors where you can get advice as too the source for parts.

Both stock and sell Elmo parts for the 16mm collector's market.

Edward Sharp
Film Handler

- posted 09-14-2015 11:33 AM      Profile for Edward Sharp   Email Edward Sharp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi I am new to posting, but long time reader here. An old projectionist from the 35mm carbon arc/changeover era.

If you can't find the gear you need, you might consider having one printed on a 3 D printer.

Good luck

Leo Enticknap
Film God

- posted 09-14-2015 12:33 PM      Profile for Leo Enticknap   Author's Homepage   Email Leo Enticknap   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
These guys in Britain may be worth trying, if you can't find anyone here. When I was working in England they were an invaluable source of spares for 16mm portables and pedestal projectors derived from the same mechanisms that were no longer supported by the OEM, including Hell & Bowell worm gears that they made themselves.

quote: Kirk Sayers
yeah, it's funny how i'm intimidated by 16mm but not 35mm or imax.
I have a co-worker who is exactly the same way - great with 35, 70 and digi stuff, but of the FP38-ES, he says, "that thing freaks me out!" and is reluctant to touch it.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: