Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Disc Capacitor needed for Auto ignitor-Help

Author Topic: Disc Capacitor needed for Auto ignitor-Help
Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 05:00 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I need a replacement disc cap that goes across the zener diode leads on a Kneisley auto ignition kit.
The only numbers on the disc cap are Y5U223ZKCK.
Anyone know it's value or where I might find one?
I've not had any luck in cross referencing this part.
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 08-11-2008 05:48 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a loose standard to cap numbers, so without knowing the actual manufacturer here's my guess...

Y5 - dielectric type
U - 4000v rating
223 - 22000pF (0.022uF)
Z - -20% to +80% value tolerance

The remaining KCK could be anything (disc diameter, lead length and/ or spacing) etc. That said, this should still be a pretty standard part, but note that cap manufacturers have discontinued a huge number of cap types in the past ten years, especially thru-hole types. If you could take a picture maybe someone might just reconize it.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-11-2008 07:00 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -
 -
 -

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2008 06:29 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
223 is the value. The first two numbers are used as is, and the third number is the number of zeros = 22000 pf or .022 ufd, as John said. Looking at the size of it, I would not think that it is rated at 4KV. I would think that doubling the voltage value of the zener, and using that as the cap voltage rating.

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-12-2008 07:21 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Y5U = dielectric type
223 = value
KCK = brand name

There's excellent agreement between the diameter of different manufacturers' caps with the same value, dielectric type and voltage rating. If you measure the diameter of the disc and buy a Y5U 22000pF that's physically as big or bigger then you'll be fine.

Brad Allen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-13-2008 04:08 PM      Profile for Brad Allen   Email Brad Allen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks all.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: