Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS XD-10 Networking?

Author Topic: DTS XD-10 Networking?
Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2008 10:37 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Several of my auditoriums just had XD-10 processors installed.

Someone has told me that he thought it was possible to network all of them so that if you moved a print from one auditorim to antother, the local XD-10 in the booth that you'd just moved the print into would automatically look at other XD-10's on the network and "find" the necessary audio and download it to its' hard drive, without the operator (me!) having to actually physically find the CD disks and load them manually.

I've looked through the encyclopedia-sized manual that came with the XD-10 and online, and other than finding info on how to set all the IP protocol parameters, there's very little other info on what you can actually DO once you've attached it to your network. (Unless you're talking downloading video content, which is not the case here)

SO, does anyone here know if it is possible to get multiple XD-10's to "talk" to each other so that manual disk loading in each booth is not necessary when moving prints around?

(Not that manual loading is a BIG chore- - but sometimes last minute auditorium changes happen and I'm busy enough without having to worry about finding & loading DTS disks! It would be nice to load everything into one central 'server' and let units figure out what needs to be where.) [Big Grin]

|  IP: Logged

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2008 03:04 PM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I asked the same question about a year ago. It seems that this feature was to be introduced (it was anounced) but actually never managed to make it to any firmware of the XD10. As far as I know, there is no way yet to actually link the players to move print audio data from one theater to the other.
Demetris

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-09-2008 03:44 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Actually there is a way to do it and we quoted this to at least several customers over the last two years. The "management" software needs to run on a desktop PC centrally located in the booth and the other procesors networked to it. I can't remember the exact costs nor can I say if it is still available considering the recent take over of DTS.

Of course the cheaper option is to just load in all the film's disks into all the processors when they arrive... something that is far less costly to do. If the internal factory drives which now may be as large as 160gb are not large enough to hold all your films larger drives, say 320gb can be easily and cheaply installed. However you can store a gob of films sound files on a 160gb drive.

Mark

Ken McFall
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 08-09-2008 04:09 PM      Profile for Ken McFall   Email Ken McFall   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarify...

is a 'Gob' load bigger than a 'Shit' load?

Sometimes it's difficult to get an idea what with the language difference between us.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-09-2008 07:51 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
If the internal factory drives which now may be as large as 160gb are not large enough to hold all your films larger drives, say 320gb can be easily and cheaply installed. However you can store a gob of films sound files on a 160gb drive.
Wrong. The XD-10 as of the last time I asked (several months back) has a limitation of "seeing" only 120GB, regardless of how big the drive is.

With as big as drives are and as cheap as they are, I would be willing to drop a 1TB drive in there no sweat, but it would be useless. [Frown]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: