Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP1000 amp

Author Topic: CP1000 amp
Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-07-2008 06:27 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm working on a CP1000. The included amplifiers has been replaced with Crown amps many years ago but the original ones are still driving the surrounds.

Does anybody know which kind of amplifiers are that? I heard that they're made by Crown but I'd like to know their power capability.

Thanks
Marco

|  IP: Logged

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 08-07-2008 09:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
That is the Dolby CP55 with amp combo, right? If that is the "CP1000" system you are referring to I want to say those amps were rated at 30 watts. Time to make a trip to the dumpster.

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-07-2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The CP1000 amps were made by Quad for Dolby. Problem is the power supplies for the amps are on the back panel of the wall rack separate from the amp modules. They put out more than 30 Watts to be sure, but as Brad says, when they break it's time to pitch them.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-08-2008 04:21 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're both correct.
Yes, I was asking to the theater owner why they kept them... They upgraded the system years ago but one of that amp is still working.

I agree with Brad, it's time to replace it. Any chance to know the real power capability?

Thanks for the help

Marco

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 08-08-2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I remember, they were something over 100 Watts into 8 Ohms. These were mainly used in UK and Europe, but Dolby SF office sold perhaps 100 to UA Cinemas, Rowley division.

There was really very little market for custom made amps after the relatively low cost BGW and QSC amps came onto the scene. The whole CP1000 scene lasted perhaps 3 years.

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 08-09-2008 04:24 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Sam.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: