Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Simplex XL "crinkling" film at the intermittent

Author Topic: Simplex XL "crinkling" film at the intermittent
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 08-05-2008 02:32 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I advance the film by hand on the Simplex XL at our drive-in, there is a crinkling sound coming from around the intermittent. When I lay my finger over the intermittent sprocket immediately after the shoe, there is a slight bulge to the film as if the sprocket were slightly too narrow. Everything in the film path seems to be properly aligned and the film appears to run normally through the gate/trap.

There is no obvious sign this is causing any damage to the film, but it's certainly an annoying sound.

|  IP: Logged

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-05-2008 07:30 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bulging film could be due to the studio guides on the film trap being too close together.

The noise could also be caused by hooked sprocket teeth.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-05-2008 08:27 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I vote with Tim, this sounds like hooked or badly worn sprocket teeth.

If you gently move the film from side to side below the intermittent sprocket, advancing frame by frame by hand, does that make the noise go away for a short time? If so, then the adjustment of the shoes may be wrong. Check also to see that only the outer shoes show wear but that the inner ones are not shiny or worn. If the inner shoes are shiny and polished by the film, that would indicate that the outer ones have worn down against the intermittent sprocket in the absence of film and need to be replaced.

KEN

[ 08-05-2008, 11:12 AM: Message edited by: Kenneth Wuepper ]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-05-2008 08:31 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, HOPEFULLY this Drive Inn isn't using a straight gate XL.... It ought to be a curved gate so there is at least some semblance of focus happenning on the screen. Curved gates don't have studio guides. Also while you're in there checking the sprocket also check the G2350 intermittent shoe assy. for wear.

Edit: By inner and outer guides Ken is referring to the inner and outer shoes on the G2350.
Mark

Bill Enos
Film God

- posted 08-05-2008 10:19 AM      Profile for Bill Enos   Email Bill Enos   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Turn the machine slowly by hand and watch to see if the int. sprocket teeth are lifting the film as they exit the holes. If they are, replacement of the intermittent sprocket is long overdue
and not too difficult to do.

[ 08-05-2008, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Bill Enos ]

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 08-05-2008 08:40 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry, Justin, I misread your post. I was thinking you were talking about the film bulging in the area between the gate and the int. sprocket, instead of after the sprocket. Disregard my comment about the trap, then.

Tony Bandiera Jr
Film God

- posted 08-05-2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Tony Bandiera Jr   Email Tony Bandiera Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would double-check the alignment of the guide roller in the upper trap with the sprocket. Use a small straightedge and a flashlight..alignment is critical for steadiness and to prevent film damage.

Did this problem come up suddenly or has it developed over time? If it came on suddenly, another possibility is someone dropped the gate and mis-aligned the shoes.

Good luck and keep us posted..

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 08-05-2008 11:44 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As for the crinkling sound was the case with one of our XL's - INT sprocket had the the groove wear at the base of each tooth causing this sound during operation..

Took it out and reversed it to use the other side of the sprocket teeth..

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: