Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS Logo trailers?? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: DTS Logo trailers??
Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2008 10:58 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We used to have the DTS logo trailers that we inserted on the films that were shown in the DTS theaters. Management is now looking to use the trailers again. I cannot find any source for the trailers and yes, I did talk to DTS, got a nerd that did not know what I was talking about. Any ideas?

Louis

|  IP: Logged

Daniel Schulz
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2008 04:03 PM      Profile for Daniel Schulz   Author's Homepage   Email Daniel Schulz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Louis,

You may have reached DTS, Inc., which is now purely a consumer technology licensing company: DTS Digital Cinema is now a standalone cinema business.

Please give me a shout via email and I'll be happy to send some 35mm logos your way.

Thanks,

Dan

Sean Kapp
Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2008 07:07 PM      Profile for Sean Kapp   Email Sean Kapp   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis, We recently contacted DTS for trailers and some other DTS items. I sent an email to cinemainfo@dtsdcinema.com and had a reply back with in 48 hours. With in about 5 days, I had 2 scope and 2 flat brand new DTS trailers.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-01-2008 07:28 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got in touch with someone at DTS earlier this year and she sent me some posters and trailers. Everything arrived quickly and service was excellent. No complaints here.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-01-2008 08:56 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I understand DTS has replaced the Piano keys trailer with a new one. I think I saw it once on a DVD but forgot how it looked and sounded but remember not liking it. I still think the original flying discs was the best and I used to enjoy it every time I saw it at a theatre or on a DVD with a DTS soundtrack. None of the theatres here in Hawaii show DTS and SRD trailers anymore but Hawaii's only THX venue, Regal's Dole Cannery 18 still show THX traiLers.

-Claude

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 08-02-2008 06:02 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The way the piano key trailer was shot it looked more like a Yamaha Piano Commercial than DTS. Most of my clients prefer the flying disk...one who even wanted to purchase a printing negative.

[ 08-02-2008, 10:02 AM: Message edited by: Richard Fowler ]

Scott Jentsch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2008 08:20 AM      Profile for Scott Jentsch   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Jentsch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never cared for any of the DTS trailers that I've seen.

The flying disc trailer was interesting the first couple of times I saw it, but it got old really quick. The sound on it was pretty good, but visually, it never struck a chord with me.

Compare that to the imaginative trailers done by Dolby and SDDS, and DTS never quite measured up.

But then, I can't remember the last time I've seen a digital sound trailer in any theater, so it probably doesn't matter all that much.

Louis Belloisy
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2008 11:07 AM      Profile for Louis Belloisy   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Belloisy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks everyone, this is a start. the boss will be happy. if he is happy then i am happy.

Louis

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-02-2008 05:14 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The flying disc trailer is the only one with decent surround and sub tracks on it. The piano might as well have been in plain ol' stereo. I think I saw one after that which is better than the piano, but it wasn't impressive enough to be remembered at all. Sonic Landscape, maybe? I forget.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2008 06:22 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sonic Landscape is the "Piano" trailer. The current one is "Sparks!". Visually, the Scope and Flat versions are the same, but have different soundtracks.

There are 4 DTS trailers that I'm aware of.

The Digital Experience (Flying Disc)
DTS Water
Sonic Landscape
Sparks!

Now, I've never actually seen a "DTS Water" trailer and the only place I've found audio for it is on the "Independence Day" discs.

Claude S. Ayakawa
Film God

- posted 08-02-2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Claude S. Ayakawa   Author's Homepage   Email Claude S. Ayakawa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Between the three digital sound process, I find Dolby's trailers to be the best. My favorite has always been the "Train" trailer followed by "Egypt" and the "Canyon". The "City" trailer is also not bad either. SDDS also had good trailers especially the ones featuring Hawaii's volcanoes.

-Claude

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 08-02-2008 11:29 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm torn between the Dolby Digital Train and the Original Dolby City (the one with the thunder-clap and helicopter). I don't much care for the City Redux.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 08-03-2008 01:45 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We constantly screen DTS trailers and have never had any trouble getting trailers out of these guys...and they never charge for them so we both win. [thumbsup]

Dolby on the other hand are charging somewhere around $100 a pop for a single trailer for me to screen which advertises their product. How whacked is that?

So, they may have better trailers at Dolby, but it's DTS here every session, every screen, every day. [Smile]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 08-03-2008 01:51 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: John Wilson
Dolby on the other hand are charging somewhere around $100 a pop for a single trailer for me to screen which advertises their product. How whacked is that?
That's seriously fucked up. What are they thinking? Oh well, I guess we won't be advertising Dolby Digital on any on our screens. DTS on the other hand we will.

Andy Frodsham
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-03-2008 11:04 AM      Profile for Andy Frodsham   Email Andy Frodsham   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always been pleased with my dealings with DTS (apart from disc availability - but that's another matter).

The old DTS website used to list the titles of existing and newly released films with DTS soundtracks. This is no longer the case (unless I am missing something).

This information was essential because it enabled me to ensure that we got the discs in advance for any films which had DTS sound. Trusting them to arrive with the print was a non-issue.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: