Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Portable Osciloscope (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Portable Osciloscope
Fernando Cavallero
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 10:12 PM      Profile for Fernando Cavallero   Email Fernando Cavallero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,
I´ve been using my old CRT scope for many years. It has a 2 by 2 inches screen and is very light and portable.
I´m thinking to upgrade to a digital one.
Which are the best options to work in the field?
The azimuth in some digital scopes is terrible (many dots without a shape)
I don´t know if should buy a "USB scope" to use with a notebook or a handheld style...
Thanks!

|  IP: Logged

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 11:08 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not so sure a digital oscilloscope is an 'upgrade' from an analog CRT scope. I have both and I still find myself going back to the CRT scope for certain tasks. I've heard good things about Tek's Digital Phosphor scopes, but they're a bit out of my price range.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-30-2008 11:23 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have yet to see a pc based scope that works like a CRT scope for a digital alignement
I still use my old leader

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-31-2008 06:55 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The more expensive Tektronix and I'm sure other high end digital scopes work well with all the waveforms we typically view. Big bucks though! PC based scopes just don't cut the mustard... or was that wind???

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-31-2008 08:29 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Both Fluke & Tek sales angineers tried to properly display the Dolby Digital waveform and struck out (badly). I would e-bay a 1970's Tek for 150-200 bucks. Louis

Fernando Cavallero
Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2008 09:47 PM      Profile for Fernando Cavallero   Email Fernando Cavallero   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Robert that digital is not an upgrade. But the dammed "modern technologies" are pushing us to the digital domain.

Can you believed that mi CRT is 30KHZ bandwith! and you can see the video sygnal perfectly.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-31-2008 11:21 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Out of curiousity, what does a digital oscilloscope do that an analog scope dosn't? (I've only ever used analog CRT models.)

Robert Minichino
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2008 11:49 PM      Profile for Robert Minichino   Author's Homepage   Email Robert Minichino   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All sorts of cool stuff, like displaying the waveform before the trigger event, fancier triggering modes, fancy math on waveforms, FFT spectrum analysis. Plus they cost more and only the hugely expensive ones are intuitive for analyzing signals with transients.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 08-01-2008 05:42 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the biggest feature of a digital oscilloscope is having a useful one-shot trigger with persistent display. So you can watch a non-periodic event from the moment it happens, and not have to worry about only having a split-second to see it before the phosphors disappear. (Yes, there are specialized analog scopes that solve this problem, too, but they're not exactly commonplace.)

Another handy feature is that you can download the trace to a computer, either so you can extract precise data from the trace, or so you can have a handy screenshot without the added aggravation of a camera.

They also seem to have less useful user interfaces, with many more buttons that are modal and overloaded with multiple functions [Frown]

--jhawk

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-01-2008 05:49 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The up side is that they are very good at showing the outside of a waveform; very bad at the "grass" inside it. Too bad, but that is required for DD set up. Louis

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 08-01-2008 09:21 AM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, essentially, a digital scope doesn't really offer much, if any, benefit for typical cinema use (sound alignments), correct?

Andres Briano
Expert Film Handler

- posted 08-01-2008 10:51 AM      Profile for Andres Briano   Author's Homepage   Email Andres Briano   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would never go to a PC-based scope.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 08-01-2008 11:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Both Fluke & Tek sales angineers tried to properly display the Dolby Digital waveform and struck out (badly).
I don't know Louis... The days of real Tektronix field engineers are long over. The old guys koew theor stuff... the new bunch are more sales then engineering. There are indeed digital scopes that do work. They are widely used in broadcast today and more than capable of displaying anything you throw at them... just expect to spend upwards of 7 grand to get one that'll do the stuff we need. The less expensive Tektronix digital and Fluke scopes just don't cut it for more than general purpose... and they do work well for digital circuits which is the world we now live in.

I do however agree that Ebaying a used 100 mhz Tektronix scope is the best way to go for most tecnicians... but ya have to be careful there too!! It can be more difficult to get parts for later Tektronix CRT models than it is the earlier models.

Mark

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 08-01-2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed! We bought 5 identical scopes for about $175 each. (Also bought 3 spare Abacus analyzers, just before they stopped making them.) Louis

Noel Mackisoc
Film Handler

- posted 08-31-2008 01:58 PM      Profile for Noel Mackisoc   Author's Homepage   Email Noel Mackisoc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought an OWON PDS5022S-BAT for $395.00 new from their dealer here in NJ. 25MHz. Two x1/x10 probes. Battery/AC. Very light and nice large screen. Intuitive--up and running in about 5mins out of the box.You can look it up on their site www.owon.com.cn.

It's not a Tek or Fluke, but it works well, easy to use, and I'm happy with it. Have used for a-chain, Dolby reader alignment and a few other tasks in and out of shop. I'd give it 4+*.

Hope this helps.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: