Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » White vs. green Media Cleaner Pads (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: White vs. green Media Cleaner Pads
Josh Rosen
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 07:15 PM      Profile for Josh Rosen     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello,

A friend of mine who works in the booth I used to work at is trying to convince managment to buy a kelmar film cleaner so they can film-guard their prints (maybe she will have better luck convincing them than I did!). She has to present some info to them tomorrow on prices, etc. I was wondering if it makes a differene if you use the White Cleaning Media (5 yards per spool) or the Green Cleaning Media (8 yards per spool). Do you have to use the longer one for longer prints or will a print rarley cause your media roll to run right to the end?

Thanks in advance for your help.

-Josh

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-30-2008 08:09 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We cut ours in half before we use them and still there's more than enough to screen The Dark Knight plus ads a trailers.

You won't run out.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-30-2008 08:34 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The green media is abrasive and will cause light scratches. It is also noticeably more expensive. Avoid it.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 10:59 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What color are the "official" Film-tech pads suppose to be? The product page shows light blue pads, but the ones I've been ordering from UCS are white. They are on the keyed cores labeled film-tech.

Ross Oba
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 11:03 PM      Profile for Ross Oba   Email Ross Oba   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ones we've been using are white. Although I can't speak for Brad, I assume they used to be blue.

Also, I noticed that the tape holding together the pad is now a tan color instead of blue.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 11:09 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the tape on ours is red.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-31-2008 12:13 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The original pads were blue. The picture on the product page was probably one of the better pictures my old camera ever took. The products were sitting on top of a large buzzing transformer in the booth. Brad liked that transformer because it kept him warm.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2008 01:17 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
There were too many complaints that the blue "made it harder to see how dirty the pads were after use", so I switched to white once that production run ran out. Then of course the complaints came in "but the blue was pretty".

Sorry, I've just never been able to sit down and take new pictures. The current pads come on the plastic coupling cores and are textured into a brick pattern like the white Kelmar pads. That texture traps the dirt in the "grooves" so a dirty print doesn't buildup and become abrasive against the film.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-31-2008 01:24 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah OK. For what its worth, we usually run about 20 passes on each side of the media by reversing and swapping the pads between top and bottom. And to keep from dealing with trying to re-tape the media to the core we don't let them run all the way out. By the way, have you ever considered keying both ends of the core?

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-31-2008 03:25 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Reversing the media is fine, but don't swap them. The base side of the film carries most of the dirt and swapping them puts the dirt against the emulsion side of the film.

We don't key both sides because that would encourage people to remove the core from the takeup side, which should NEVER be changed (until the rubber inserts have worn out and require replacement). That is how most cleaning machines get damaged and parts go missing.

Mike Baer
Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2008 05:46 AM      Profile for Mike Baer   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Baer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I want to order a kelmar cleaner with media pads. Where can i get the film-tech media pads.The most Dealers only have the Kelmar white or green pads.
And it should be a Dealer who ships outside the U.S.

Barry Floyd
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 09-18-2008 10:23 AM      Profile for Barry Floyd   Author's Homepage   Email Barry Floyd   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I use the white Film-Tech media pads. When I rewind them to the beginning of the roll, there is usually more than enough media to clean two prints.

Being a drive-in, I always build my double features to one platter disc. With my policy trailers, 2-3 preview trailers, first full feature, 5 minute intermission, 2-3 more preview trailers, plus the second feature - at the end of the night there is usually still unwound media left on the roll.

I get my Film-Guard & media pads from either Hadden or Jack Roe USA. I know Hadden ships to just about anywhere.

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 09-18-2008 10:32 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can order them from any dealer on this list:
here

I like R.S. Engineering & Mfg at http://www.RSEM.com since they have quick online ordering. Many suppliers require you to call them to order or even just to get a price list.

Oliver Harper
Film Handler

- posted 09-28-2008 07:09 AM      Profile for Oliver Harper   Email Oliver Harper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We use the green cleaning media, we found it gave better results at removing dust and dirt from the prints compared to the white media. We have had no evidence of the green media damaging the prints.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 09-28-2008 12:26 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Oliver, What are your light levels like? Do you have high quality lenses? I have never seen the green media NOT put fine scratches into the film. Bear in mind not only is it more abrasive, but it doesn't have the textured "grooves" in it to capture the accumulated dirt, so there is nowhere for it to go except to drag across the film. Both the Kelmar white and the Film-Tech media have the texture.

Mike, Jack Roe in the UK can get you what you need.

Also, the authorized dealer list page has been updated today.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: