Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dts-6d upgrade issue

Author Topic: Dts-6d upgrade issue
Thomas Moore
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2008 06:59 PM      Profile for Thomas Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hey i have 5 units I'm upgrading with the new firmware and drives. 4 went totally fine however on the 5th one it wouldn't upgrade period. then when i tried to put the other chip back with the old drives it doesn't load at all. This is the only board that has the dts silk screen logo on it. So I assume it is the E363 board. the other four that upgraded fine did not. now I'm stuck with a paperweight instead of something that at least worked occasionally. Any thoughts on this. Oh yeah...yes I checked the jumpers also. Everything is exactly how they should be. Thats probably why I feel like throwing the unit out the booth window.

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-26-2008 08:51 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does it complete a boot cycle?
Put video card in it and that may help you determine where the unit is hanging

Thomas Moore
Film Handler

- posted 07-26-2008 09:15 PM      Profile for Thomas Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
no it does not complete boot sequence. it holds on a solid red light on cd-rom. nothing on system or timecode light, ever.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-27-2008 12:19 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I echo what Gordon suggests. Drop an ISA video board into an open slot and monitor the boot sequence. If the CD-Rom light comes on and stays on, it's acting like the SCSI board is not working properly. Did you replace the SCSI board as part of the upgrade? With the E363 motherboard board and the DTC Photonics SCSI board, you have to change the jumper settings. The E363 motherboard replacement document TN-E516 goes into detail.

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-27-2008 03:54 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also check the orientation of the SCSI cable

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-28-2008 08:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also, I've had failures of the SCSI board on nnumerous occasions as well as defective SCSI boards out of the box. Simple board by board substitution using boards from a unit that does work should allow you to weed out the problem in about 10 min. And as Gord says check the SCSI cable... if turned around the led's on the front of the drives won't blink at all on power up.

Mark

Thomas Moore
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2008 01:01 PM      Profile for Thomas Moore   Author's Homepage   Email Thomas Moore   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well ive tried everything but the video card idea. i havent found one locally as of yet. the scsi cards however i do have is a tdi-3510 C. would the jumpers on that require change when using with a e363? it isnt covered in the tn-e516 instruction. it just really bothers the heck out of me since the others were a breeze until i get to this different model mainboard!

[ 07-28-2008, 02:25 PM: Message edited by: Thomas Moore ]

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2008 01:57 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes these things can be very frustrating; at least it did not happen to the first one you updated. Completing four out of five successfully is encouraging, the first thing I always do is check for any simple installation errors that may have been overlooked. Having already done this the next question would be; was this unit working prior to the update? If the answer is yes, it may narrow down locating the problem. In general description of this failure could be any number of things from a bad motherboard (yes they fail), any new boards in the kit, (yes they sometimes can be bad), cables, drives, etc. The best recommendation at this point since you have rechecked your work and swapped known good boards with the possible bad ones is to place a video card in the unit as suggested by other posts to determine at what point the unit stops loading. This is very easily done and will save you big money from sending it in for repair. It should not matter that this motherboard is different from the others and the jumpers should be the same. Any kits you received from DTS are guaranteed and DTS customer service is just a phone call away to assist in any questions you may have.

Paul Vollmers
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2008 08:01 PM      Profile for Paul Vollmers   Email Paul Vollmers   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas,
Try unpluging the unit from the power.........wait about 30 sec, then plug the unit back in, and turn the DTS power switch on, and see what happens........

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-28-2008 08:53 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly don't want to step on Mike's toes - he knows his stuff. The Technote for the E363 doesn't call out the TDI board because it works without any modifications.

I once ran into a unit that still had the ROM-DOS chip on the Timecode board, while installed in a 6-D. Can't imagine how it ever worked this way. Make sure that socket U12 on the D422 timecoad board is EMPTY. U14 should have a v1.46 chip in it.

On a similar topic, what does the Update Disc that comes with these upgrades actually do to the DTS-6 and DTS-6D units?

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 12:41 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The purpose of the CD-ROM software upgrade disc is to load the AQRM program into the flash memory on the new DTS motherboards. The new motherboards E363 can easily be identified by the DTS logo printed on them. Older motherboards require the AQRM chip to be changed. The board that has the AQRM chip is not required in the new motherboards. Placing the upgrade disc into a unit that has an older motherboard will do nothing. If you have a new motherboard the 6 or 6D LED’s will alternately flash between system and CD-ROM when the load is completed.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 01:27 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Presumably, an E363 motherboard purchased in 2008 would have this software already pre-installed?

Chris Slycord
Film God

- posted 07-30-2008 02:05 PM      Profile for Chris Slycord   Email Chris Slycord   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you stick in the upgrade disc and the software is already installed nothing will happen. It'll just pop the disc back out and tell you there's nothing to update.

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 02:50 PM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That is assuming you've got a disc to stick in. I'm trying to determine if I need to bother getting a disc.

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 07-30-2008 07:22 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No Blaine you do not need a disc, I was just answering your question about this disc. If your system is currently working, your fine.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: