Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » A massive Thank You to whom ever is responsible for my print of Step Brothers (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: A massive Thank You to whom ever is responsible for my print of Step Brothers
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-24-2008 11:53 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

I can not tell you how psyched I was to see I had to spend extra time building up this print. In fact, I was so psyched that I'm tempted to program Beverly Hills Chihuahua as requested (even though there wasn't one in the can.

|  IP: Logged

Randy Stankey
Film God

- posted 07-25-2008 12:18 AM      Profile for Randy Stankey   Email Randy Stankey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rewind Reel#2 from the shipping reel to a house reel first.
Next, rewind Reel#5 from the shipping reel to a house reel or you can use the empty shipping reel from Reel#2. Set Reel#5 aside for a few minutes.

Build Reels#1, 2 & 3 onto a 6,000 foot (or other large size) reel. Take this time to visually inspect the film as you build.
Rewind the entire first half of the movie onto a second 6K reel.

Spin the first half of the show onto a platter and continue working on the second half at the bench. (Come back and check on it every couple-few minutes.)

If you don't do your trailers as "drop-ins," be sure you put them onto the big reel before you spill it onto the platter.

Now, start with REEL#6 and build it TAIL FIRST onto a big reel.
This is a perfect time to put all your cues on the film and be sure they are right.

Finish up by splicing Reel#5 (previously rewound) then Reel#4. Again this is TAIL FIRST. You built up Reels#6, 5 & 4 in reverse order onto that other big reel and they are now heads up so you DO NOT have to rewind.

If you are good at your job you will probably be finished with the second half of the movie at about the same time the first half is done spilling on.

Attach the head of REEL#4 to the tail of REEL#3 and finish spilling on. When this is done, you should be ready to roll.

Yes, I agree that the bone heads in the lab could have very easily shuffled reels so that they are all heads up or tails up but we're just going to have to get used to this.

After a while, you'll learn to puzzle it out and figure out what the best way to build up any print is, given a random orientation of the reels.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-25-2008 12:41 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm pretty good at figuring out the easiest way to build up when I have mixed heads and tails, it's just a major pain in the ass. And in the case where it is literally every other reel, I can't help thinking someone did it on purpose.

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 07-25-2008 01:12 AM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey, we get them that way from our local lab Atlab pretty much every time...complete with inaccurately cut leaders. What I mean by that is if their run is reel 1 then 5 we can get the start of reel 5 leader still attached to the tail of reel 1.

Incredible, but true.

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2008 01:34 AM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WoW! Whoever packed your "Step Brothers" print must have been the same joker who did my "X-Files" - - it arrived the same way, with alternating heads & tails out.

The scary thing is that I have a print of "Step Brothers" to make up in the morning. I haven't opened the box yet, but after seeing your post I'm not sure what to expect.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-25-2008 01:57 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So which way do you crackers prefer to get your prints... all heads or all tails? At the moment I prefer all tails since I do not have a Platter Reel, otherwise I would demand all heads all the time or a lawsuit would be filed. I still wouldn't mind if the last reel was always tail out since it would force a rewind and that always makes it easier to find where the credits begin so I can place the cue which magically brings up the lights. The only annoying thing about all tails is having to put the tail leader around the hub and then wrap up the head leader.

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-25-2008 02:04 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I have a platter reel, I prefer heads out. But my print of X-Files also came mixed - with mostly tails out (2 and 6 were heads) so I built up on 6K reels.

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-25-2008 03:07 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
..prob how Deluxe labs had the film on the large cores right after developing before being mounted on shipping cores.

Used to this for many-a-year: mixed reels like this.

..and don't blame the ETS depots for this since all they do is mount the flanges on the cores when the core shipments comes in ,

And,for TECH prints, once in a while, comes this way as well.

Joe Elliott
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2008 03:47 AM      Profile for Joe Elliott   Email Joe Elliott   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember back in '87 when I was first learning to build up, they always came tails up. Except of course the 2 to 3 reels that had been inspected, they were heads up with a nice white label showing that they had been inspected. Nowadays however they are probably mixed and matched more by accident.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-25-2008 04:40 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
Guys, this has been gone over many, many times, but I'll say it again.

Loop printers will create reels all with the same orientation (for example - all heads up).

Bi-directional printers will create 50% of the reels heads up and 50% of the reels tails up.

Deluxe in Canada is the main lab distributing to the US that uses bi-directional printers. The rest use loop printers. If you are in the US and have a mainstream film in your hands that arrived as a mix and match of heads and tails, it was almost certainly printed at Deluxe in Canada. They have been asked to stack the heads and tails together to send out prints all of one orientation, but that is just not something they are willing to do.

With some exceptions, generally people in the central and eastern US will get their prints made at Deluxe labs from the Canada lab. Generally the people on the west coast get their prints made at Deluxe labs from the California lab.

Technicolor has two printing labs, one in California and one in Canada. Both use loop printers. For reference, Warner Brothers and Universal are the main two studios printing at Technicolor. (Buena Vista recently switched to Deluxe, so their prints are no longer made at Technicolor.)

There are two shipping depots:

*DFS (Deluxe Film Services...formerely ETS...the people who ship in the grey "Fox boxes" and regular cans)

*TES (Technicolor Entertainment Services...the people who ship everything in orange cans)

Currently everything ships from DFS depots except for Buena Vista, Universal and a couple of little studios like Lion's Gate. Those ship from the TES depot.

The shipping depots have absolutely nothing to do whether your print comes in all heads or a mix and match. Don't blame them.

What you CAN blame the depots for is when they don't clip the reel onto the core properly and you end up having to disassemble the reels to re-orient the core in there properly so that it fits on your equipment with drive dogs. I find this is more often the case than not, which is silly as it wears out the reels twice as fast.

Mark Beach
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2008 06:09 AM      Profile for Mark Beach   Email Mark Beach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why don't you just rewind them to either Head or Tail? So they are all the same?? Simple! [Cool]

Bill Gabel
Film God

- posted 07-25-2008 06:19 AM      Profile for Bill Gabel   Email Bill Gabel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is simple, but people have to whine about something. You just live with it. I get prints in many times like this or all tails out. I just rewind the reel and get it ready to show.

Very simple

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-25-2008 06:30 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Brad Miller
What you CAN blame the depots for is when they don't clip the reel onto the core properly and you end up having to disassemble the reels to re-orient the core in there properly so that it fits on your equipment with drive dogs. I find this is more often the case than not, which is silly as it wears out the reels twice as fast.
I'm always blown away when I get a reel that has a hole in every section of the core, and they still manage to line up the key slot with the hole in the split reel so you still have to disassemble the reels. (did that make any sense?)

Mark Beach
Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2008 06:44 AM      Profile for Mark Beach   Email Mark Beach   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess we are blessed here in the UK - 95% of our prints come in almost perfect condition. Although we do get a varied mix of reels been Head or Tail out. As we have to spool straight onto a platter (as we wernt provided with the correct tools!) We prefer them being Head Out - although most of the time before I make the print up I rewind them so they are all head.

John T. Hendrickson, Jr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-25-2008 08:39 AM      Profile for John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Email John T. Hendrickson, Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe Redifer wrote:

"So which way do you crackers prefer to get your prints... all heads or all tails?"

Like you, Joe, tails up, since I do not have a platter reel either. Also, since I am building on 6000's at the bench, it's easier to place cues, as the emulsion side is up.

Additionally, I find that most of the trailers come tails up as well.

If I have multiple prints, I will open and inspect all cans/boxes first. That way, I can "mix and match" to save time rewinding if I find same reels in opposite orientations.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: