Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » So, Anyone Else get The Dark Knight Crammed into Two Cans? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: So, Anyone Else get The Dark Knight Crammed into Two Cans?
Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-19-2008 10:38 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear friggin' Deluxe depot:

Did you think no one would notice that the label clearly says "7 Reels on 3?" Those plastic "cans" are only made to hold three reels, ya asshats (you're lucky they manged to fit a movie as long as The Dark Knight onto seven reels to begin with). If you have to precariously balance the DTS discs on top of the reels because there's no room in the cans, that MIGHT be a hint that you're not using enough cans.

|  IP: Logged

Blaine Young
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 12:36 AM      Profile for Blaine Young   Email Blaine Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All 5 of our prints came this way. I hate these square cans with a passion, and our DTS discs were squished between the reels and trailers.

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 02:37 AM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I like these containers. They're lighter & easier to handle and I don't have to worry about them tearing the shit out of my trunk when they shift around during transport.

Joop de Gruiter
Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 05:08 AM      Profile for Joop de Gruiter   Email Joop de Gruiter   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could some one post a picture of the cans you are referring to?

Jack Ondracek
Film God

- posted 07-20-2008 07:00 AM      Profile for Jack Ondracek   Author's Homepage   Email Jack Ondracek   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My print came in 4-reel plastic cans. No problem at all. Didn't even consider it an issue before seeing this thread. Your depot should have just used larger cans...

How did they include trailers for you, if they were using 3-reel cans?

Matt Fields
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 09:29 AM      Profile for Matt Fields   Email Matt Fields   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Around here (Cincinnati Depot) they put the entire movie in one of those grey "Fox Boxes" and then put all the trailers and DTS disks in a small two reel can. Nothing was damaged, but that Box was HEAVY.

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 07-20-2008 01:48 PM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We got a standard old-fashioned package: Three-reel and four-reel cans for the feature, and a third can (two reel) with the DTS disks and all the trailers. The only hitch was, the four-reel can didn't show up with the other two. Fortunately a quick call to UPS got the matter resolved - they sent a special driver with the missing can (amazingly).

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 01:58 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow! The way you got your print really sux!
Both my prints arrived in two well-worn 4 reel metal shipping cans. (two 4-reel cans for each print) from TES.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-21-2008 12:31 AM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely not TES?

--jhawk

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 07-21-2008 05:17 AM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mine came in 2 four reel plastic "cans" (not the "Fox" boxes). I have no complaints about the shipping other than I hate those plastic "cans".

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-23-2008 08:11 PM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love those plastic cans. But they're only meant to hold three reels (hint, hint, Deluxe!).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-23-2008 08:57 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those plastic cans weren't the most favorite due to the awkwardness in handling such bulky contraptions, plus a pain to close due to the dbl hinge concept and to close that flap over then shove that plastic pin in. I'd rather do "foxboxes" than those POS's.

(Ouch!! "DK" in a "FoxBox!" - one flipping heavy sucker there! Hoped your cinema had an elevator or dumbwaiter for such deliveries.)

Yea, got two, three can prints of "DK" and figured that the two reel can was for discs and trailers.

This is how the labs should make up their prints though: nice FULL reels.

Just glad that TECH is smart enough to only do the classic can deliveries.

Geena Phillips
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2008 10:13 AM      Profile for Geena Phillips   Author's Homepage   Email Geena Phillips   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have to admit, the main reason I like the plastic cans is the handles -- large, easy to grip and not prone to dig into your hands when the can is heavy.

Also, there's less chance of the case for the DTS disk being dashed to smithereens if the deliverer transports the cans on their sides (as happens with every single Technicolor print DHL brings me ).

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-24-2008 12:52 PM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Geena Phillips
and not prone to dig into your hands when the can is heavy.

....there is a trick in carrying can without having the handles of the can digging in that I've learned in the 35 plus years being a "film handler..: Wear gloves. [Big Grin]

No, actually, when gripping the handle, don't grab the handle all the down to the palm of the hand for this will definitely bust the hand up. Grip the handle in the 2nd bend of the fingers, for these fingers are acting like a hook to support that weight.

-Monte

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-24-2008 02:28 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Monte
quote: Monte L Fullmer
Hoped your cinema had an elevator or dumbwaiter for such deliveries.
Our booth is on the 4th floor and the "dumb waiter" was the doorman who was required in the union contract to carry the films up and down the stairs from outside the booth door.

KEN [Big Grin]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: