Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650 Software versions

Author Topic: CP650 Software versions
John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-18-2008 01:37 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I noticed that the Dolby software disk (Issue 9) has two different versions for the setup. One is v2.2.4.3 and the other is v2.3.0.2

What's the difference?

|  IP: Logged

Jim Cassedy
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-20-2008 09:34 PM      Profile for Jim Cassedy   Email Jim Cassedy   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

(Sorry, I couldn't resist [Big Grin] )

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-21-2008 08:23 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, that's the best answer so far! [Smile]

I just didn't know why Dolby would include two different versions on the same install/setup disk.

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-21-2008 08:51 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It has been Dolby's policy (at least in the past) to keep the versions of both firmware and software that reached a plateau available. Among other things, this would ensure that the software will properly communicate with the firmware.

Generally speaking, software people only seem to test latest with latest even though they are supposed to be backwards compatible.

Features have come and gone as well...you may want a feature that is not supported in later versions (like Dolby-E...last supported on firmware 2.1.9.0 and its mating software). Furthermore, the latest software or firmware may be found to be buggy...it is nice that one can go back to the last known stable version.

Steve

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-21-2008 06:48 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK, cool, that makes sense .. thanks!

The CP650 doesn't support 'E' anymore? Usually, manufacturers don't discontinue a feature .. they might not update it, but keep it. Not that I have ever used E, or have seen it used ... or for that matter, ever heard of anyone else using it, but I want it just *because*!

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-21-2008 09:08 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah, the horsepower needed for Dolby-E was reallocated to other areas. Dolby-E is a broadcast format, primarily and the fact you have not been around it shows how rare it is for cinemas.

I, on the other hand, have been dealing with it for many years. By and large, those they are going to use it have DP572s, if broadcast, or DMA8(Plus) for cinema.

I have used Dolby-E on a CP650 but it is normally a pain. The plan was that one would have to register for the feature and pay a hefty licensing fee (not cheap either). One had to pay their money and submit the MAC address to get this hideous unlock code (it is long). The CP650 would decode Dolby-E but you didn't really get much in the way of options. For Cinema, the DMA8 Plus is really the best solution...you can chose which group you want (there are 8-channels in Dolby-E but they can be cut up in many different ways). The DMA8 Plus can deal with all of the various frame rates, unlike the DP572. In fact, on the DP572, you need to provide it with a video-reference or it won't play...and at that point you have the audio only in the digital domain...you still need a D/A converter (or use the AES inputs in a CP650 or like processor).

Since the Dolby-E capability had to be there for those that wanted it...it would consume available horsepower even though 99% of the people didn't need it. It makes more sense have a DMA8 Plus. Now, if the CP650 didn't need that unlock code (different for each CP650), then having the capability for the occasional one-off show would indeed be handy.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: