Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Dimmer chaining

Author Topic: Dimmer chaining
Dominic Espinosa
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 07:19 PM      Profile for Dominic Espinosa   Email Dominic Espinosa   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a new one for me.
I have a theater with a pair of Xetrol dimmers AND a Kelmar dimmer.
The Kelmar appears to be the "master" with half the house lights attached to one of the xetrol's and the other half by the other one.

For some reason now, one of them is not dimming when the show starts, it has to be manually dimmed by hitting the button on the front panel of the dimmer.

Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Gordon McLeod
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 09:06 PM      Profile for Gordon McLeod   Email Gordon McLeod   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Kelmar control works on pulling the control lines to ground some of the older Xetrols went high
Most likely they have added a seperate relay to buffer the two

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 09:38 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Xetrols just had a 12vac power supply which operated the 'up' relay, or the 'down' relay. The 'common' connection was not grounded.

I think Gordon is right; there is nothing wrong with either dimmer, just the relay (or whatever) that operates them both at the same time. If so, that's harder to help figure out because it just depends on how your installer wired it.

If you still need help with this, it might help to tell us which dimmer is not working, and go from there. I assume it works OK when the lights are raised?

Noel Mackisoc
Film Handler

- posted 07-21-2008 04:12 PM      Profile for Noel Mackisoc   Author's Homepage   Email Noel Mackisoc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You might first check the operation of each individual dimmer by jumpering the appropriate control terminal (up/dn) to its common. This would tell you if the control problem is with a specific dimmer or an external source, such as an isolating relay as John suggests.

Yes, the control lines for Kelmar and Xetrol dimmers are incompatible and must be isolated from each other.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: