Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650 Surround Mixdown (Page 1)

This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: CP650 Surround Mixdown
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2008 07:01 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, since I am illiterate, I cannot read the 650 manual so I thought I would pose this question here: Is there a way to internally fold down the split surrounds to a single mono surround in the CP650 for format 10? I ask because we have four of these units and only the left surround is hooked up, the surrounds themselves are not wired in a split fashion. It sounds very odd when right surround information should be heard, but only silence is present instead.

Yes, I realize the ideal solution is to rewire the surrounds, but I'm working with what I've got here.

|  IP: Logged

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 07:09 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone will chime here if something can be done inside the 650 to have mono surrounds, but I don't think.
If rewire the surrounds is not easy because you don't have a box in the booth with each single surround speaker coming from the auditorium, what about a small 2ch mixer that mixes the stereo surround of the 650 into only one channel?

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2008 07:12 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe the surrounds are all daisy-chained to one another, no box. This theater was created when the first Dolby optical matrixed surround was all the rage (and was the first ALL STEREO multiplex theater in the state, supposedly). I'd rather rewire the surrounds than install a mixer. A mixer costs money, and I don't think I can get any budget for a project like this.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-15-2008 07:20 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
A mixer would be cheaper than purchasing more speaker wire if it comes to that.

Scott Norwood
Film God

From: Boston, MA. USA (1774.21 miles northeast of Dallas)

- posted 07-15-2008 07:23 PM      Profile for Scott Norwood   Author's Homepage   Email Scott Norwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
He doesn't need a mixer. The CP650 has balanced outputs. Just wire the XLR or TRS to the surround amp as ground, LS+, RS- and the surrounds will sum to mono. The surround levels will then need to be checked and (probably) re-set. Of course, this assumes that the amplifier has a balanced input.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2008 07:29 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Trust me Brad, it won't come to that. It'll be "You're not getting any complaints so why spend money fixing it?"

Scott, I haven't really investigated the amps yet, but I will check for balanced inputs. I'm 100% sure they're fine since they are recent-model QSC. Resetting the levels is not a problem. Now just to make sure we actually have XLR cables.

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-15-2008 09:44 PM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - I'm surprised someone would pay for good stuff like a CP650 and QSC, then not want to fix a minor issue like rewiring surrounds.

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-15-2008 09:59 PM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Unhappy customers don't complain, they just go elsewhere.

KEN [Frown]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-15-2008 10:56 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John-
We inherited this stuff from another theater that the same company closed down a few months back.

Kenneth-
You and I and most other people here know that. That's why I hate that we'll be playing a super-scratched print of Iron Man for the third week in a row (we received it like that). I complained and tried to get a new print, but I was vetoed. This is also a lesson to be learned; do NOT open prints on July 4, especially when it is a Friday because all depots will be closed for many days.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-15-2008 11:39 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, You KNOW the state that equipment was in when you got it. I came to the conclusion that the folks that run that chain don't even bother to take a piss unless its absolutely necessary! You shoulda known after goin through the gear that it would be better to go back to working at Wal-Mart [Eek!] [Roll Eyes] .

Mark

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-16-2008 03:08 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Uh, no. I'd rather work for the theater than Wal*Mart any day. I've never worked for Wal*Mart, but I imagine that Wal*Mart pays much less!

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 10:40 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Perhaps you can try pushing the outputs from the CP650 to one way diodes and from there connect both ends on the amplifier. This way you will not short the CP650 outputs since the signal won't be able to be mixed together! I don't know if it would work but I also believe that a cheap mixer would do the job.
Demetris

Kenneth Wuepper
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-18-2008 11:08 AM      Profile for Kenneth Wuepper   Email Kenneth Wuepper   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe,

Look up the thread with the reference to an article on the subject, "Why Not Wye". It is on the RANE pages. http://www.rane.com/note109.html

I think that you will find this to be a safe and simple way to connect and mix the signals you want.

KEN

PS Resistors are pretty cheap! [Wink]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-20-2008 01:18 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright I looked a little closer at the sound equipment tonight and it is all hooked up digitally. CP650 digital out to a QSC DCM-1 monitor and that feeds digital signals to the amps. The surround amp is a QSC DCA-1222. It has a purple stripe on the front which impresses booth visitors and increases the booth feng-shui. Anyway, would this be as simple as changing the dip switches on the amp from stereo to parallel and resetting the level?

John Walsh
Film God

- posted 07-20-2008 09:30 AM      Profile for John Walsh   Email John Walsh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The signals going to/from the DCM are regular analog, not digital. The DIP switch idea might work, depending on how it's hooked up; I don't think it would hurt anything to try. You should also plug in a laptop and see how the DCM monitor is configured.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: