Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » CP650-random problems

Author Topic: CP650-random problems
Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 02:38 AM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak server, Barco DP100,CP650
We're having a problem with our 650 that seems to occur about once a week. It only seems to happen when running video, not film.
Problem 1
The first problem was that the surrounds went to full output and clipping and the volume knob did nothing to affect the level. Rebooting fixed that and it hasn't happened again.
Problem 2
The output of all channels is very distorted but the level doesn't change as with problem 1. Rebooting fixes it. This has happened 3 times in about 3 weeks.
I haven't been there when it occurs, so these descriptions are from the manager. Both the 650 and the server are on a UPS.
Has anybody had these random CP650 problems? We are at the point of doing a repair/exchange on the whole unit as we want Dark Knight to play without problems.
BTW Dark Knight is coming in 35mm as that's the way WB wants it shown if there is a choice.
Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Dan Szarama
Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 10:53 AM      Profile for Dan Szarama   Email Dan Szarama   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have had the same sort of issues with many of my CP650s. Mainly the second one you described: The sound becomes very distorted, but the level is fine. My booth is already fully digital (other than some dual houses that rarely get film anymore) so I have only really seen it happen on digital as well.

I'm not much help on why it is happening, I'm really not sure as well. Most of the time switching sound channels out of external 6 channel, then back into it takes care of the problem. Other times I am forced to reboot.

I run 20 screens and it seems to happen randomly on any of them. So I don't know if it is a 650 issue or what. (I run Christies with Doremi servers) and happens about two to three times a week.

I dont have much of a solution, but at least you know someone else is having the same issues.

David Stambaugh
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 11:49 AM      Profile for David Stambaugh   Author's Homepage   Email David Stambaugh   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The first question someone will probably ask is What firmware version are you running?

Do a search on this forum for "650 firmware" and you'll get a number of related threads, including one fairly recent.

Phil Ranucci
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 02:15 PM      Profile for Phil Ranucci   Email Phil Ranucci   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We're running version 2.2.5.0

Pete Naples
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 05:26 PM      Profile for Pete Naples   Email Pete Naples   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Question: The AES/EBU inputs of the CP650 are un-balanced, the outputs of most servers ( I am not certain about the Kodak) are balanced. Do you have transformer between the server and the CP650?

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-14-2008 06:14 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm running 2.2.5.0 too and very rarely I'm using digital inputs. I had to reboot the processor in many of that occasions.

I have colleagues in other cinemas with 2.2.5.0 with troubles with digital IN too.

Perhaps you should think to upgrade the firmware of your processor.

Ciao
Marco

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-14-2008 08:50 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would suggest upgrading to 2.3.5.3, 2.3.6.x seems to be buggy. 2.3.4.4 is also a good firmware but it is a purchase item since it adds global audio delay (a feature the CP650 didn't have before). You need to have installed 2.3.4.4 at some point in order to have global audio delay...which should be handy for DCinema (clears up lip-sync issues caused by the video's latency).

As for CP650s AES inputs. It depends...the earlier Cat 794 could handle BOTH AES3 (balanced) and AES3-id (unbalanced). It had transformers on the board with programmable jumpers so you could set it to work with either system.

The Current Cat 790 board is AES3-id only and would need transformers to go from balanced (twisted pair 110-Ohm cable) to unbalanced (coax 75-Ohm cable).

Note, the Cat 778 board (also currently available) only takes AES3 (balanced) and also outputs digital audio (AES3) only.

But in any event, change your firmware to a known good one.

Steve

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: