Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » What would cause the sound to be skipping like a CD?

Author Topic: What would cause the sound to be skipping like a CD?
Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 11:45 PM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just watched "wanted" at a local AMC theatre. I dont know what equipment they are running however I am curious what would cause the sound to sound like a skipping CD. Like it had digital noise in a way. Almost like web streamed sound? but it wasn't motorboating becuase the dialogue was very clear. Any ideas?

|  IP: Logged

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-09-2008 02:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Two possibilities:

You so say it is AMC. AMC is known throughout the world for their wanton SDDS lovin'. The SDDS could have reverted to the backup digital track which is much worse than the main track and likely worse than the analog SR track (I don't think I have ever heard it).

Or if they are actually using Dolby Digital, it could be the Dolby Digital F-ing. When that happens it can sound clicky and jumpy (or even the quick "chirp" digital noise) even though it never reverts to analog... it just sits there and Fs. Once it Fs so many times in a certain amount of time, it will finally revert to SR until the F-ing stops. What you describe leads me to believe that this is actually the case, but AMC using Dolby Digital??? Must be a newer (7 years old or less) location.

Robert LaValley
Expert Film Handler

- posted 07-09-2008 07:02 AM      Profile for Robert LaValley   Email Robert LaValley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I believe its a new location (within the past 7 years that is). Overall they do a pretty good job in presentation there,this is really the first real problem I have experienced watching a movie there in 4 years so I think thats a pretty good ratio. Ive had cp650's F out and stay in SR for the rest of the feature after a bad reel. So once again I'm guessing since I dont know what they are running but do you know if it could revert back to digital if it finds enough "good" soundtrack after having a bad reel that would cause it to "f" out? (yeah I know that question just sounded like a who's on first routine - haha)

Sean McKinnon
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-14-2008 05:27 PM      Profile for Sean McKinnon   Author's Homepage   Email Sean McKinnon   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They probably need to re-calibrate or replace the LED assemblies in an SDDS reader.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: