Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » DTS "Thin Red Line" No voice over in intro

Author Topic: DTS "Thin Red Line" No voice over in intro
Ottilie Young
Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2008 09:53 AM      Profile for Ottilie Young   Email Ottilie Young   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi All:

Our print of "Thin Red Line" had no voice over in the beginning sequence (very important to the film)--BUT there was music which sounded very good--when played through DTS. When I manually switched to Dolby SR, there was the voice over. Otherwise, in DTS the music sounded good--it didn't sound muffled or anything like that.

I'm assuming they wouldn't make the DTS track without this voiceover but how is that possible? I'm assuming at least 3 variables: the condition of the time code on the print, the disks, and our reader.

Any suggestions?

Thanks very much,

Ottilie

|  IP: Logged

Mike Olpin
Chop Chop!

- posted 07-06-2008 10:46 AM      Profile for Mike Olpin   Email Mike Olpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not the time code or your reader. The DTS reader either sees time code and switches to DTS or it doesn't see time code and the print plays in SR.

It's not the condition of disk itself, all 6 tracks are contained in one data file on the disk. Again, the player either can read the disk or it cant.

The problem is that the DTS disk simply has been mastered with the wrong (perhaps earlier version) of the films soundtrack. Get a hold of the distributor and ask if a new revision of the disk is available.

Meanwhile, play it in SR. If you can smoothly switch to DTS later in the reel, go for it.

Bruce Hansen
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2008 04:50 PM      Profile for Bruce Hansen   Email Bruce Hansen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you missing a channel some where between the DTS player and your processor? You would think that the VO is in the center channel, but if you were missing that, you would also be missing a lot of dialog. Could they have put the VO in the surrounds? Did you try to play this on another screen that has DTS? Is there anyone else running this? If you want to check for a missing channel play the DS-3 test disc (or DS-1 if you don't have a DS-3), it does not need film running to play.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2008 05:02 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
DS3 disc image

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-06-2008 10:48 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with Bruce. Sounds like you're missing the center channel. Is the dialog otherwise there for the remainder of the show (while playing back in DTS)?

Mike B. Smith
Film Handler

- posted 07-08-2008 11:08 PM      Profile for Mike B. Smith   Email Mike B. Smith   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thin Red Line from 1999?
I pulled these discs from the DTS archives and checked the first reel. It definitely has the voice over in the center channel, beginning at 166 feet with “What’s this war in the heart of nature”. I did notice there were long pauses in-between sentences in the voice over. As already stated, if the DTS is playing at all in Digital, it will not be related to a Timecode/print problem or Timecode reader head issue. I don’t believe it is a disc problem either since DTS did not create different versions of this feature. I agree with everyone who has suggested checking your DTS player output with a test disc depending on the DTS model.

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: