Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Adjusting BACP Dolby Digital Reader LEDs (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Adjusting BACP Dolby Digital Reader LEDs
Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-05-2008 05:21 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there a way to adjust the intensity of the LED in a BACP penthouse reader? I removed the back cover and didn't see any trimpots, nor did I when the housing around the camera was removed. I have a few readers that are showing RED on the video status, others orange and one that sits there flashing back and forth between green and orange before it is even threaded.

I have no idea how old these readers are, but they came out of a closed Regency theater in Utah and were shipped to Denver without first removing the flywheels. Two of the flywheels on my four readers were installed backwards somehow (somebody had to really work to do that). One of the readers does not "snap back" if you pull outwards on the sound drum (it does not move at all, in fact). Bent shaft from shipping, maybe?

Mark G, were you the tech for Regency in Utah? Don't lie!

|  IP: Logged

Clint Koch
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-05-2008 06:09 PM      Profile for Clint Koch   Email Clint Koch   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
remove the video statis cover (4 small screws) and there is a small hole with a trimpot that will adjust this.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-05-2008 06:15 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I must have missed this, thanks.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2008 06:19 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Mark G, were you the tech for Regency in Utah? Don't lie!

Yes Joe I was, however we were on a fix it only if it's broken type of arrangement with Regency! That meaning the equipment never saw regular maintainance doring its entore life. All of those BACP LED's have been replaced once over the years by me but it's probably been a while. The gain adjust should work out fine for them for quite a while. When that location closed we only disconnected the booth equipment... we did not disnmantle it as per their request. Our stage riggers did however lower the screen speakers and surrounds down. Also, you will find one of the CNA-100's is not working correctly to dim the lights [Eek!] . It never did from about the second year it was installed. Regency never wanted us to spend the time to fix it. Good luck with the gear... Except for the Millenniums and a couple of Strong ignitor failures it was never much trouble. Make sure whoever dismantled the stuff didn't loose any of the springs that go behind the flywheels. Use your 100mhz dual trace tektronix scope to set the gains correctly... too much level will overload the processor... too little and you have the situation you're in now.

Oh, and Utah being a very dust oriented state... you may want to blow out the 650's and QSC power amps.

Mark

Sam D. Chavez
Film God

- posted 07-05-2008 06:19 PM      Profile for Sam D. Chavez   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is a trim pot behind the CCD cover, where the Red/Green status lght is attached. Look for an access hole for a small screwdriver.

As to the drum not springing back there should be a spring in back of the flywheel.

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-06-2008 12:56 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK I found the hole for the LED adjustment trim and they are all a steady green now, thanks. I still have one that reads 5-F-5-F-6-F-8-F-F-F-4-F-F-5-F-F, etc no matter what. Possibly a bent shaft creating too much vibration?

There are springs on all of the shafts, I can feel them even on the two units where the flywheel cannot be removed (because it is on backwards and the allen head screw can't be reached). So the one that doesn't "pop back" or move at all can't really be adjusted, but I can feel a spring back there.

So Mark, who installed the flywheels originally? Why are two of them backwards? Do I need some super-secret special tool to reach the allen screw if this is the case?

quote: Mark G
you will find one of the CNA-100's is not working correctly to dim the lights
Fixed. That was easy.

quote: Mark G
Make sure whoever dismantled the stuff didn't loose any of the springs that go behind the flywheels.
According to Gary Stanley they came 100% pre-assembled, including the flywheels. That's why I am wondering if perhaps the shaft got a bit bent since the flywheels were left on during shipping. I really hate the gate/trap design of those Milleniums. The trap always is loose and moves about. A bunch of breakers on the lamphouses are physically broken off, perhaps during shipping?

Demetris Thoupis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 07-06-2008 01:30 AM      Profile for Demetris Thoupis   Email Demetris Thoupis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe make sure that they are threaded exactly on the lines of the readers. I had the same issue on 1 screen at a venue we installed in Cyprus on 5 Christie projectors and when I reached there I stopped the film for 2 seconds, reajusted the film path on the reader and walla! a solid 3!! [Smile] The other thing you might want to check is the spring in the casing of the reader. You might want to try to move it a space forth or back depending where it is now. You might have too much pressure on the pad rollers or as you say, you might have a bent shaft [Eek!] . I've personally found these penthouse readers very reliable and with great optics.
Demetris

Monte L Fullmer
Film God

- posted 07-06-2008 02:37 AM      Profile for Monte L Fullmer   Email Monte L Fullmer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(The Regency was a great place to watch 70mm films there. I cant remember if they had "JJ's" or AA2's - but it was a pretty noisy booth when the machines were running..Place had the great reputation of opening a lot of the summer blockbusters up there located on a hill overseeing the entire SLC valley. Now, it's a large office complex..)

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-06-2008 04:02 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha ha I doubt you are thinking of the same Regency. Regency Theaters is a company who shows (mostly) independent-style movies.

Anyway the readers are being threaded correctly without too much or too little tension... that is slightly more tension than, say, a Cat702 reader. I have one BACP that reads 0's and 1's, another that reads 2's and 3's and the fourth one reads 5's, 6's, and a few Fs. The spring didn't feel as if it could be moved. I'd be able to check if I could get the flywheel off. Mark, come out here and remove these flywheels!

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2008 04:08 AM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
On the BACP, the threading diagram printed on the reader is very accurately drawn showing the ideal spacing. Essentially you want it just big enough to put a Sharpie marker in between the two tensioner rollers. (I know you already know this Joe...I am only posting it here for future people searching the archives.)

I say you send the reader to Mark for him to fix. After all, it's his fault it isn't working properly. EVERYTHING that doesn't work right in Utah is his fault! [Razz]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-06-2008 08:20 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The sad part is that the theater was closed because the mall wanted its space back.... not because Regency wanted out. There was a shooting at this mall a couple of years ago that killed 6 or 7 people. The mall has new owners that feel a need to face lift the place. Its a pretty cool mall actually...built in the old trolly barn.

I can't speak for what happened to the gear after it was all disconnected but all the BACP readers worked just fine when they were last running. We urged them to let us disnmantle them and pack the stuff... now you see what happens when head office thinks they know more than the tech does.

P.S. If the flywheel is on backwards don't point the finger here... I didn't install the stuff, in fact the stuff didn't get any service until after it had been in for about two years. I seem to remember hearing that someone from Seattle did the install. In theory it shouldn't matter which way the flywheel is on the shaft, it'll still spin. I remember doing the LED's, sending one QSC in for repairs and the usual dose of DC ignitors failing. Beyond that there wasn't much trouble there.

Mark

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 07-06-2008 04:28 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
But Mark, technically the penthouse reader IS a "digital" item, and we all know how much you love playing with digital things. [Razz]

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-06-2008 04:37 PM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Mark Gulbrandsen
In theory it shouldn't matter which way the flywheel is on the shaft, it'll still spin.
Yes, this I know and understand. But it makes two of them a HUGE pain to remove and service if it is even possible. I still can't figure out how they were even attached in the first place unless someone glued them onto the shaft or something. Is there some really short metric allen key that I'd need if the allen screw is now pointing towards the inside? I can barely even get my fingers around there.

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-06-2008 05:22 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree... had I had the need to go in the back of any of them I'd have probably discovered it myself. Good luck straightning them out!!

Mark

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 07-06-2008 05:32 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Joe, a number of manufacturers make special hex heys, probably the best known is the Bondhus "Stubby"(tm), but generically they are "short arm hex keys."

-

It's good to have a set kicking around.

And, of course, you can always "sacrifice" an allen wrench and cut it down to size for your application.

--jhawk

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: