Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Question on damaged speaker

Author Topic: Question on damaged speaker
Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-03-2008 04:03 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi

Today I found a 2225H with an hole in the suspension.
I know that foam suspension can be replaced. How about non-foam suspensions?

Thanks, Marco

|  IP: Logged

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-03-2008 05:15 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only solution from an Authorized JBL service center is to perform a "recone" on the speaker. Essentially, the cone, dome, compliance, spider...everything except the metal parts are replaced...it will be a new driver, for all intents and purposes.

Steve

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-03-2008 06:12 PM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.

Yes, I know what a recone is, I thought that perhaps only the suspension could be replaced.

Thanks for your reply

Marco

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-03-2008 07:00 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are many off-brand sources for that. I have done it myself on smaller speakers. There is no reason not to just buy one and do it. Louis

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-04-2008 05:49 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's a Butyl Rubber Surround you can use Aqua Seal on it. I have repaired several rubber surrounds this way as long as the hole is not too large... not more than a half inch long. Aqua Seal is available at Camping Supply Stores and Dive Shops. I last saw it for sale a week ago at the Zion Canyon Supply Store right at the entrance to Zion Canyon.
Aquaseal Link

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-05-2008 07:03 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Mark

No, it's not made by rubber. I really don't know the right word for it, but it's the one made by fabric. Oh, it's not a 2225, it's a 2226. Found in 4673B speaker, I read its PDF and found that should be 2225, but the great behaviour to replace broken speakers with something "similar" did the trick [Frown]

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-05-2008 09:30 AM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds like you have what I call the "accordian pleat" around that cone.

Mark

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-05-2008 09:58 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If "accordian pleat" means what I think: LOL

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-05-2008 10:18 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The 2225 has a double roll compliance...the 2226 is a pleated compliance.

The 4673 did indeed come with the 2225 and then the 2226. The cabinet (and crossover) remained the same. The cabinet was the 4507 and the system loaded with a driver was the 4647 and later named the 4647A.

The 2226 is a superior driver in just about every respect to the 2225. The power handling is about double and the frequency response is just as wide and every bit as smooth.

I don't know if I've seen the double-roll compliance sold as a separate part (anular ring). Two things that will fight you on replacing it as a part...keeping things centered being the primary one. Foam surrounds are a bit more forgiving as they don't apply too much lateral support...that is not the case with the cloth surrounds...if you don't get things precisely centered, the compliance will fight against the spider and cause a rub.

Steve

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-05-2008 10:36 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve

Nice to hear that that cone belongs to that cabinet! I just found the 4647A exploded view only on jblproservice.com, was not available on jblpro.com, only the original 4647. The only odd thing is that JBL is listing the 4647A with the same power specs of the 4647. Is the 2226HPL listed there the same 2226H I have?

4647A

Thanks Steve and Mark.

Steve Guttag

- posted 07-05-2008 09:39 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The reason is the crossover...a 4647(A) presumes a crossover (Though it shouldn't). It was the 3115 for the 4673(A). The spec sheet even said the crossover was 1200Hz...which really is a maximum, not typical. For the 4671 system, which also used the 4647A cabinet/driver it would have been a 3110 (800Hz) crossover.

In fact, at 4647A set up for bi-amp with a 2226H has a continious pink noise spec of 600-watts.

Note, the crossover thing also bit the 4648A-TH...which eventually became the 4638-TH since it had the same crossover. The limiting factor was the crossover, not the drivers...so JBL made the 2035H drivers which look identical to the 2226 but are only 3" voice coil drivers and don't have the power handling (or response) of the 2226.

Steve

Marco Giustini
Film God

- posted 07-06-2008 06:06 AM      Profile for Marco Giustini   Email Marco Giustini   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Very clear.

Thanks Steve.

Marco

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: