Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » So Long Smart Devices....? (Page 1)

This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Author Topic: So Long Smart Devices....?
Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-02-2008 05:00 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Got this from our salesman Vince that called Smart today about a module for a CSP-1200. Apparently they have ended all current electronic equipment production and it may explain why the last Mod 7 arrived in pieces in a box. All the "lines" are also up for sale. So if you want to build Mod 7's then you can buy the rights from Smart to do this. I personally bid them a sad farewell having worked with Smart gear for close to 30 years. They've been a great company to be associated with and a model for customer support in this industry. Thanks guys for the very long solid run!

It'd be nice if Norm stepped in and confirmed this and told the story as well.

Mark

|  IP: Logged

Phil Hill
I love my cootie bug

- posted 07-02-2008 05:05 PM      Profile for Phil Hill   Email Phil Hill       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy Smokes! Official Announcement

Mark Gulbrandsen
Resident Trollmaster

- posted 07-02-2008 07:27 PM      Profile for Mark Gulbrandsen   Email Mark Gulbrandsen   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I should add that they will be continuing to support the products they built with repair facilities for many years to come. They plan on having at least two full time technicians and Gwenn will still be answering the phones.

Mark

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-02-2008 08:22 PM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They will also be selling those products that were NOT manufactured in their facility. As such, SMART as a company is not gone...but SMART as the cinema industry knew them seems to be fading away.

Steve

[ 07-02-2008, 09:45 PM: Message edited by: Steve Guttag ]

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-02-2008 08:26 PM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Damn I was just up to their plant last week with my Mod 2C....no one said anything. Gwen called me the other day and asked me to pay via PayPal for the repair invoice which I did.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-02-2008 11:51 PM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I got dibs on the Mod 2C-DIT!

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 07-03-2008 10:39 AM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
FYI: 1130am July 3, no answer on any Smart telephone line. (I'm just trying to buy some distribution amps!) Louis

Noel Mackisoc
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2008 11:02 AM      Profile for Noel Mackisoc   Author's Homepage   Email Noel Mackisoc   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have been friends with Norm Schneider for many years. He is one of the "gooder" guys in this industry. I'm sorry to see the company close; it's a sign, folks!
finis

Richard Fowler
Film God

- posted 07-03-2008 11:45 AM      Profile for Richard Fowler   Email Richard Fowler   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Louis,
the staff is on 4th of July vacation. Talked to Gwen and Norm this morning.....

Jonathan Bodge
Film Handler

- posted 07-03-2008 08:14 PM      Profile for Jonathan Bodge   Email Jonathan Bodge   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sad, the last lines of the announcement are true and chilling. Smart was a straightforward company that provided value to customers who didn't have megabucks but wanted to improve their old mono systems.

Tim Reed
Better Projection Pays

- posted 07-04-2008 03:06 AM      Profile for Tim Reed   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the tide turned when they let Oscar get away...

Don Furr
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2008 08:11 AM      Profile for Don Furr   Email Don Furr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you're right Tim.

Robert Throop
Master Film Handler

- posted 07-04-2008 09:02 AM      Profile for Robert Throop   Email Robert Throop   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What's the status of Panastereo?
Bob

Steve Guttag
We forgot the crackers Gromit!!!

- posted 07-04-2008 10:11 AM      Profile for Steve Guttag   Email Steve Guttag   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same as Smart Devices...they are not manufacturing anything anymore. They will service what they sold and that is about it. I believe both product lines are for sale if someone is interested in purchasing them from SMART (purchasing the right to manufacture...not individual products).

Steve

Joe Redifer
You need a beating today

- posted 07-04-2008 10:22 AM      Profile for Joe Redifer   Author's Homepage   Email Joe Redifer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will miss the greatest Smart product ever... the Afterburner. We installed an Afterburner on our Large Giant Screen and it made it sound much nicer. Then we had a thought.... if the Afterburner makes it sound this nice, then just imagine how it would be if it had two Afterburners installed! As of right now we have 5 Afterburners installed (daisy chained) on each of our screens. WOW!

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 4 pages: 1  2  3  4 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: