Film-Tech Cinema Systems
Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE

my profile | my password | search | faq & rules | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Film-Tech Forum ARCHIVE   » Operations   » Film Handlers' Forum   » Sony is getting into the locked can game with Hancock... (Page 1)

This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Author Topic: Sony is getting into the locked can game with Hancock...
Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 06:58 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just received this email from Deluxe

quote:
To: United States Domestic and Canadian Movie Theatres
Re: Sony’s HANCOCK opening Wednesday, July 2, 2008

Attention Theatres:

HANCOCK prints will begin to deliver to theatres the week of June 29th. Based on the various shipping schedules from the local DFS depots, your print(s) of HANCOCK may arrive with one can locked. If a locked can is received, please adhere to the following information.

Upon receipt, the Locked Can will contain all enclosure trailers and Reels 1, 2, & 3. The lock is not to be opened until Monday, June 30th per Sony’s request. The combination code will be available for release at Noon (EDT time) on June 30th. The Unlocked Can will contain Reels 4 & 5, projectionist letter, and an instruction letter from Sony.

The lock code will be available via the following options at Noon (EDT) on Monday, June 30th:

Call Deluxe Film Services at: 1-866-524-3456 (FILM) - a message will greet you with the code information.

Send an e-mail to: unlockcode@etsdirect.com - an automated response will provide code information.

Visit the following website: www.unlockcode.bydeluxe.com

Via broadcast fax – a fax with the lock combination code will be sent out at Noon (EDT) on June 30th.

Please note: The above only applies to theatres that receive a locked can.

If you have any questions, please contact Deluxe Film Services at:

1-800-734-3969

|  IP: Logged

John Wilson
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 07:18 PM      Profile for John Wilson   Email John Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again we have absolute dummies making these decisions. What's the point of having the unlocked can with reels 4 and 5 and locking the trailers and reels 1,2 and 3.

At least if it was the other way around, you could get into building the first half of the show. Same effect where you can't build the whole thing, it's still secure, yet a vastly different outcome for the time schedule of the projectionist.

John Hawkinson
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 08:02 PM      Profile for John Hawkinson   Email John Hawkinson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maybe someone should ask Sony? At least they're giving out the code on Monday for a Wednesday release. Even for midnight shows on Tuesday (or whatever), that should be a comfortable amount of time.

--jhawk

Lyle Romer
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-26-2008 08:36 PM      Profile for Lyle Romer   Email Lyle Romer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hopefully their not also getting into the forced digital dropout to add in a pointless audio cap code game also.

Louis Bornwasser
Film God

- posted 06-26-2008 10:32 PM      Profile for Louis Bornwasser   Author's Homepage   Email Louis Bornwasser   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Rather pointless when you consider it is already well copied by the time "normal" theatres receive it. Perhaps they are trying to keep from stealing it from themselves. Louis

Frank Angel
Film God

- posted 06-27-2008 03:40 AM      Profile for Frank Angel   Author's Homepage   Email Frank Angel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Louis Bornwasser
Rather pointless when you consider it is already well copied by the time "normal" theatres receive it. Perhaps they are trying to keep from stealing it from themselves.
That's hysterical, Louis!

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-27-2008 09:04 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This isn't a big deal, as JHawk said. The first show times are not until Tuesday at 7pm at the earliest. So whats the big deal here? Don't see it and don't see the point of this thread. Everyones just going to say the same things as in the other threads. [Confused]

Mike Blakesley
Film God

- posted 06-27-2008 09:37 AM      Profile for Mike Blakesley   Author's Homepage   Email Mike Blakesley   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a feeling Deluxe has cooked up this "extra security" scheme and has put together some statistics saying how well it works, and has been able to sell it to the film companies. The bean counter says, "So let me get this straight...It'll reduce piracy by 1.2533% and it's only $50 more per print? Sold!"

Justin Hamaker
Film God

- posted 06-27-2008 12:08 PM      Profile for Justin Hamaker   Author's Homepage   Email Justin Hamaker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote: Kurt Zupin
Don't see it and don't see the point of this thread.
The purpose of this thread was to pass along information that others may not have received yet. Sure, people are going to have the same complaints as with Iron Man and Indy. But wouldn't you rather know in advance the prints were coming locked. I know that for Iron Man the only way I found out was through Film-Tech because I didn't receive a fax or email from Deluxe.

Brad Miller
Administrator

- posted 06-27-2008 02:43 PM      Profile for Brad Miller   Author's Homepage   Email Brad Miller       Edit/Delete Post 
The fact that they are releasing the code on Monday for a Tuesday playdate makes this one reasonable to me, although I do agree that they should just make it a practice of locking the second half of the movie so theaters can pre-build the first half and have ready to load wound on a large reel.

Kurt Zupin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2008 06:34 AM      Profile for Kurt Zupin   Email Kurt Zupin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We received our print of Hancock today for a screening on Monday and it's locked. I agree with Brad that it should be the second half thats locked and the first half that isn't. Wouldn't it make more sense to keep the end of your movie a secret and not the start. I don't know maybe thats just me. From what I've heard the first 3 reels is the best of the movie, if not of any movie this summer. Its the end that falls flat.

I agree Justin that its good to pass this stuff along. The only problem is now we have another thread where everyone is going to complain about it. I think we need a thread that is just for this type of info, a sticky at the top of the film Handler's Forum. You add any info you have and we don't get multiple page threads with everyone saying the same things over. Just MHO.

Damien Taylor
Master Film Handler

- posted 06-28-2008 07:58 AM      Profile for Damien Taylor   Email Damien Taylor   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just come be a projectionist down under. By the time prints get here, no one cares who gets them. They just come in cardboard boxes on cores.

Michael Dolan
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2008 06:07 PM      Profile for Michael Dolan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Dolan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
since some of you already got your print can you atleast tell me wheather its scope or flat so I can start getting my trailers together

Jeremy Weigel
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2008 08:23 PM      Profile for Jeremy Weigel   Email Jeremy Weigel   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its scope.

Michael Dolan
Film Handler

- posted 06-29-2008 08:33 PM      Profile for Michael Dolan   Author's Homepage   Email Michael Dolan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you [thumbsup]

All times are Central (GMT -6:00)
This topic comprises 3 pages: 1  2  3 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To: